Fly box

ryansheehan

ryansheehan

Anyone ever find a fly box that is truly waterproof? I've been through many boxes and brands but nothing truly stays dry. I do wade into deep water and often my fly boxes are in water for extended periods of time. I'm tired of drying everything out and/or rust beginning to form on hooks.

The short answer is no. I'm not sure that I'd really want to, either. The rust business works both ways. If you put away a fly in a truly waterproof box, the hook will rust. I have several perforated fly boxes that hooks never rust in, even when wet. They have the additional advantage of sinking rather than floating away when I manage to drop them. Of course, that's not an advantage in deep water.

Things that I have tried include wearing a shorter vest, keeping flies that I care about in upper pockets, having water proof pockets on the lower pockets of my vest. None those work when I go for a swim, which happens all too often. I still end up having to find table space at home to dry out twenty or so boxes of flies.

I suppose carrying fewer flies (and keep them in an upper pockets is the real solution, but I also know that will never happen. Zip lock bags might be answer as well.

I don't put flies back in the box on the river, I put them on a patch and dry them out after fishing. I really feel like a truly waterproof box would save me a lot of hassle.

OK so Ive been doing some research and looks like there is a company called green caddis that makes fly boxes that are actually waterproof. Anyone have any of their products?

Back