Fly box to hold midges?

mushumatt

mushumatt

Does anyone have any experience with any fly boxes to hold midges from 18-32? I have issues with the midge boxes I have not securely holding the flies. And when I use a pill box I tend to loose a few flies when I try to get into the 24+ sz...

I like Umpqua for holding smaller flies, it has since become my midge/nymph box. Not horrible in price either.

Take a look at the Orvis super thin fly box with compartments. I keep all my wee flies in them, down to 32s. I can see through the lid and there is magnetic tape on the bottom of the compartments to keep the little guys from flying out when you open the lid. They are easier to get out too since the compartments aren't so deep to grab them. My fat fingers can't reach into the compatments of the dewitt boxes I normally use for those tiny flies and get the right one.

I appreciate it, I'm staying away from orvis products after the fiasco i dealt with this summer/still dealing with. But I will check out umpqua when I get home.

Actually, Trident Fly Fishing is showing them on sale, a sponsor of this site...

http://www.tridentflyfishing.com/accessories/fly-boxes.html#.ULZN_Ybug00

I'm going to have to check them out in person, I have well over 1000 midges in my box at the moment.
Fox- no problem man, I've been going micro lately and love the results. I'll let you know next time im back if you want to hit a stream.

mushumatt wrote:
I'm going to have to check them out in person, I have well over 1000 midges in my box at the moment.
Fox- no problem man, I've been going micro lately and love the results. I'll let you know next time im back if you want to hit a stream.

For sure. I like looking in that fly box of yours. Gives me some great ideas. I've been going real small lately on that creek we like too.

I haven't been ought on that creek in awhile. Ive been making the trips to centre, LL, and out here at school.

I purchased a Turtle 12 compartment fly box from Flyshack.com for my midges. I keep enough midges of different sizes and colors based on the time of year. It's small enough to fit in a shirt pocket. It is also somewhat water proof as I've accidently dropped the box in the water several times and no water entered the compartments. It's also very inexpensive.

Dale

I have small 6 compartment boxes that measure 3"X2" - and they hold most of my small flys nicely.
However, #32 flys can still slip between the cracks in them - and come out.
I keep those tiny things in the small, clear box that the hooks came in. Only thing I've found that seems to hold them

I appreciate it guys but the vast majority of midges I have I could probably fill up one of those boxes with just one style midge in the sizes I carry. I think I found one, but it's not exactly what I'm looking for

matt, check out the meiho water baby boxes. i carry them, its all i use for midges.or myran boxes too..they can snap together.

Attachments

• meiho and myran 2012-12-01 002.JPG
    meiho and myran 2012-12-01 002.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 4
  • meiho and myran 2012-12-01 004.JPG
    meiho and myran 2012-12-01 004.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 5
  • meiho and myran 2012-12-01 005.JPG
    meiho and myran 2012-12-01 005.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 5
I think ive settled with the umpQua magnum midge box it looks like it should hold all of them.

Hope you like it. I've asked for one for Christmas.

We will see, I tend to collect fly boxes like jack collects cookie jars... If anyone watches 30 rock

I think you'll be happy with there design and the cost. Completely water proof to. I don't have their midge box, but a small and just ordered a large. Orvis box magnet broke, and doesn't hold flies well IMO anyway.

Back