Fly Box Set Up

J

Joerugs

I have a quick question; How do you manage your boxes? Do you set up with one box for each different types, such as, nymphs, emergers and midges, then another box have your wets, another box have your dries, and carry five boxes or set up one or two boxes with a variety of all and only carry one or two boxes?

I'm newer to this sport and I'm finding that I might miss a hatch if I leave certain flies behind. Quick story. A couple of weeks ago, I said to myself, I'm just going to nymph....so, I left my wets, dries, terrestrials behind. Well, I experienced fish rising everywhere for what looked like a stone fly hatch. No problem, I reached for boxes that weren't in my pocket. But, as I gain more flies, I have so many boxes it's hard to carry them all. Any advise?

This is a lengthy subject. I organize carefully and then a couple of hours later my boxes are a mess again.

I have too many boxes - most based on seasonal patterns. I have an early spring box with the "April Grays" dry flies, a few nymphs, some grannom patterns and even a streamer or two. Than I have a later spring box with March Browns, tan caddis, cahills etc and appropriate nymphs. When the sulphurs are out I have a small box with just just sulphurs - a few dries, emergers, and nymphs. When I go out in the evening in sulphur time (or on a tailwater in summer) I am just fishing that hatch. Same with tricos - just carry a few spinners and wet ants and sunk spinners for after the spinner fall.

I have a small box with just coffin flies for green drake time.

I have a specialized spring creek box with midges, olives, scuds and worms.

I have a small streamer box with a dozen or so just it case nothing else is happening.

Since getting into Euronymphing I have a small box with perdigons and other jig hook Euronymphs.

Most days I carry 3 or 4 boxes to cover the bases. Generally use only 3 to 5 flies in an outing, but need to carry a bunch just in case. Unless I am fishing most days and know what the few flies I need are - then I carry a small box with a dozen or so flies. It can get complicated quick.

Its hard. I've been trying to be minimalist & to reduce weight whenever possible. I always carry a small box of attractor/generic imitator dries in various sizes 12-18 like Royal Coachmans, Lt Cahill/Sulphurs & Adams that cover a lot of bases, caddis flies and a little Orvis roller of streamers. Then I have my main box which is mostly wetflies and nymphs. I have a bunch of feeder boxes to fill the mainbox that stay in the car. In season I also have a small terrestrial box. There is also a labelled box with specific mayflies and spinners for hatches that I sometimes carry if I know a hatch is likely.

HERE IS HOW MY BOXES ARE SUPPOSED TO BE ORGANIZED:

BUGGERS
DRIES AND A FEW EMERGERS
NYMPHS & CADDIS LARVAE
CADDIS DRIES AND PUPAE
BASS
SALT
MIDGES
TERRESTRIALS
JUNK FLIES(FLIES I'M AFRAID TO GET RID OF BUT DON'T REALLY USE MUCH)

Waiting for followup post on how the boxes are ACTUALLY organized... :)
DEPENDS HOW MUCH I'VE FISHED OR THE LAST TIME I TIED. THEY SHOULD ACTUALLY BE OK RIGHT NOW. BY THE END OF THE SEASON THEY CAN BE PRETTY BAD.

Same here.... best of intentions... I try to carry no more than 3 boxes at most: Box of wets/nymphs, a box of dries, and a small box of miscellaneous stuff that might be more specific to a hatch.

To keep things rather simple and efficient consider carrying 2 or 3 boxes with all the flies you will need for a day's fishing anytime or place.

A box for dries that includes mayfly, caddis, a few stoneflies, midges, terrestrial patterns, including emergers, spinner patterns as well as all of the aforementioned.....anything that floats. The idea is to have a box for fishing on top.

The second box should contain all nymphs, larva patterns, wet flies, scuds, cress bugs, etc......anything that sinks. You can add to this box streamers, but since they are larger flies and take up a lot of room, you many want to consider a separate streamer box.

Overall, instead of carrying a dozen of the same pattern, carry 3 or 4 of each to represent a large variety of insects that may be present. Generic patterns both wet and dry are great since they check the box to represent many insects.

With 2 or 3 fly boxes, you can carry a selection of flies to meet just about any situation.

One final thing. I carry three fly boxes in my sling pack as mentioned above (two are large swing leaf boxes to double the flies I can carry), but I also set up a working fly box which I load up with multiple flies and patterns for hatches or conditions I will likely face on the stream that day. That box rides with me up front. The other fly boxes stay at the ready behind me in my sling pack. This allows me to have plenty of extra flies to meet the hatch that day while my well stocked fly boxes with a wide variety of flies riding in back to meet any situation not expected that day.

Words my fishing partner will never hear from me are "Yeah, the "xyz's" were hatchin' like crazy, but I left my "xyz" box back in the truck!"

I have a quick question; How do you manage your boxes? Do you set up with one box for each different types, such as, nymphs, emergers and midges, then another box have your wets, another box have your dries, and carry five boxes or set up one or two boxes with a variety of all and only carry one or two boxes?

I'm newer to this sport and I'm finding that I might miss a hatch if I leave certain flies behind. Quick story. A couple of weeks ago, I said to myself, I'm just going to nymph....so, I left my wets, dries, terrestrials behind. Well, I experienced fish rising everywhere for what looked like a stone fly hatch. No problem, I reached for boxes that weren't in my pocket. But, as I gain more flies, I have so many boxes it's hard to carry them all. Any advise?
Joerugs:

As you will find out eventually, having the same flies in several boxes so you always have them, means you have to replenish two, three or more boxes when you run low.

Inevitably, you will steal flies from box two for box three in a pinch, rather than buying or tying replacements resulting in all of your boxes being low at some point on those flies you always need.

For that reason, I suggest you avoid that pitfall…

The simplest way to manage your boxes is to carry less of each fly & size, buy smaller/shallower fly boxes, organize them by type of fly and/or season and carry what you need at a specific time plus an additional box with stuff you want with you all the time.

For example:

First make up an “always need” box or boxes with caddis, Blue Winged Olives, midges, maybe some terrestrials, attractor nymphs, junk flies, streamers and other flies you never want be without. Carry that/those box(es) all the time.

In my world, this would probably represent two boxes.

Then make up a couple of seasonal boxes with specific flies to match specific insects and only carry those at the appropriate time of the year. When that time of the year is over, take them out of your vest/pack/pocket/pouch and replenish them at your leisure for next year.

If you want to reduce the total number of boxes carried even further, create some overlap (two or three flies) in the seasonal boxes for early or late hatches so you don’t have to carry two extra boxes between seasons. For example, make sure you have a few Sulphurs in your summer box to get you past late June or July if you encounter any stragglers.

In my world, this would be one box per season.

Total number of boxes carried: Three

The trick as I mentioned earlier is to reduce the number of flies you carry, (I carry about three of each pattern/size). Store extras in cheap fly boxes back at your car. Check your fly boxes before you head out and replenish as needed or IF you run out while fishing (which has NEVER happened to me), go back to the car, have a beer and get some more.

Of course the simplest thing is to go minimalist and carry one box, but as you are new to fly fishing, it will take you a while to discover (if you ever discover) how to dumb it down to a couple of flies.

Have fun & good luck!!

Copy and paste from the most recent thread on this topic with a few minor revisions. My setup is still basically the same:

I struggled with this too. I think everyone does to a degree. Any system you come up with will have its pros and cons. Recognize/acknowledge that up front and that no system is without its drawbacks.

You have to prioritize what is most important to you. For me, it wasn’t necessarily having every potential fly for every situation on hand at once, or having things super organized. I’m fine with boxes containing different types of flies. I fish small streams a lot, and it’s not often you need to exactly replicate what fish are eating on those streams to catch them. For me, the top priority was keeping my pack light (I do a lot of hiking), and not having to carry more than one fly box at a time, while also not having to swap out flies from box to box. Here’s what I landed on. I carry only one of these at time, depending on the kind of fishing I’m doing that day. I small stream fish a lot, so the small stream one gets carried the most. If I’m on a week long trip I bring along a plastic Plano compartment box in the vehicle that I keep my bulk spares in, to refill as needed.

1. General Trout Box (Medium Size w/Swing Leaf) – This has the most variety. Kind of a little bit of everything, but it covers the major PA hatches I fish the most…BWO’s, Grannoms, Quills/Hendricksons, Sulphurs, MB’s, GD’s, SD’s. Has more nymph varieties and some junk and general attractor patterns too. Has a sparse bit of terrestrials and a handful of streamers.

2. Brookie/Small Stream (Medium Size Box) – Mostly attractor dries, a few small streamers, and a few BH nymphs. Also has a few big “night-time” poppers/gurglers and streamers for night fishing, as this is the box I take backpack camping with me.

3. Bass/WW (Medium Size Box) – Mostly bigger streamers for Bass. Some poppers. Whiteflies.

I'm going to take some abuse for this but....
I use 11" x 7.5" Plano boxes with 18 compartments.

1 box for Hendrickson emergers, dries and spinners. Organized by pattern and size.

1 box for March Brown, grey fox, ISO and Cahill patterns. Again, organized by pattern and size.
1 box for Olives

1 box for sulphurs

1 box for caddis adults

1 box for caddis pupa, larva

1 box for drake and adult stone patterns.

Nymphs are in a huge double sided tool box set up. The box will have everything from a #20 BHPT to a #4 black stone.

Tupperware containers of streamers but I put a bunch in small boat boxes for when I lose all common sense and decide to streamer fish.

When wade fishing, I grab 2-3 old school 3x6 plastic boxes, toss in a few patterns for what I expect to see hatching and go on my merry way.

So, I'm getting a good idea of what others are doing. I'm grateful for that. But, I think it comes down to entomology and my general knowledge of it. I know the difference between dry, wet, nymphs, terrestrials, and streamers, but I'm just now learning about emergers, dunns, spinners and such. And hatches are like a foreign language to me. I'm at the stage where I seine, lift rocks and look in bushes, and try to match up with what I see. So, in reality, I'm carrying about everything I have. And I have a lot of flies! Thanks for all your help and continued support while I continue to learn. Therefore, the more I learn, the less I have to carry.

I have a richardson.

Front tray - leader wallet. Caddis pupa, dries. Scuds and shrimp. Weighted (Euro style) nymphs.

Middle tray - Mayflies. Nymphs organized by size. Dries organized by colors and size. Midges also in this tray. And a crap load of rusty spinners by size.

Bottom tray - On lid is terrestrials and attractor flies. Humpies, stimmies, wulffs, san juans, all that fun. The base houses my big stuff, streamers, stonefly nymphs.

I have a separate box for egg patterns, but, a few often find their way into the bottom tray of the richardson.

My issue is. I have 1000 flies but I am always out of what I need! Lets say you're fishing a sulpher hatch. Ok, I started this hatch with 6 or 8 of my favorite sulpher dry (cut wing thorax patterns) and went on a trip. By night 2 or 3 I'm running out of those!!!! grrrr.

Therefore, the more I learn, the less I have to carry.

Maybe, but maybe you end up being the guy who likes to have everything on hand at all times. A buddy told me recently of a good Sulphur hatch he hit on Penns last year in mid-April, about a month before I would have expected them. I wouldn’t have thought, oh let me stuff some extra Sulphurs in while gearing up that day. Point being you don’t need to make the decision now. Do what works best for you now and adjust as you go. It’s an evolution. My system that works for me now isn’t what I always did.

But yeah, you’ll generally be able to pare down things as you go and learn more. I can tell you I still don’t carry every life stage of every bug though. You figure out how certain hatches work, and what styles of flies work best for that particular hatch. For example, I generally find that fish seem to like Sulphurs disproportionately at the emerger stage versus the dun stage, compared to other mayfly species. This makes them a good beginner hatch to fish as you can get pretty sloppy and draggy with your presentation and still have a good bit of success. Because of this, I tend to carry more emerger and lower riding parachute style flies for Sulphurs, in comparison to March Browns or Green or Slate Drakes, where I carry more dun style patterns.

^That’s just meant as an example and not something you need to know now. Just an example of something you’ll learn along the way and likely adjust your fly box set up in response to.

Funny, with sulphers I agree on the sloppy and draggy. But I tend to like high floaters I can skate a bit during the emergence. I will often trail a floating nymph on a dry hook behind the dry. But for the dry I usually use a cut wing thorax, cast beyond, and skate it back to the lane to stop just up from the riser. They seem to love that movement. More often than not they end up taking the dry and I end up snipping off the dropper. But there have been days that dropper is the key...

Then of course spinners have to be low floaters...

But yes, the more you learn, the more you end up carrying. Lol. Your going at it trying to cut back but end up the opposite way.

I'm down to two boxes (for now). 1 for streamers and one for big swing leaf box for nymphs, soft hackles, junk flies, and some dries.

So, I'm getting a good idea of what others are doing. I'm grateful for that. But, I think it comes down to entomology and my general knowledge of it. I know the difference between dry, wet, nymphs, terrestrials, and streamers, but I'm just now learning about emergers, dunns, spinners and such. And hatches are like a foreign language to me. I'm at the stage where I seine, lift rocks and look in bushes, and try to match up with what I see. So, in reality, I'm carrying about everything I have. And I have a lot of flies! Thanks for all your help and continued support while I continue to learn. Therefore, the more I learn, the less I have to carry.
Joe:

Don't get obsessed with what you MIGHT run into and focus instead on WHAT is working for you now and try to figure out WHY.

Despite what some folks imagine, fish don't read books on stream entomology. If they did, none of us would catch squat with beadhead Prince Nymphs or Humpies. Most of the time it's not the fly you are fishing, it's HOW and WHERE you are fishing it. This also explains why some anglers catch fish with only a few different flies in a single box while others are going through multiple fly boxes, changing flies every few casts.

When I was a spin fisherman fishing for trout with salmon eggs and spinners, I focused on the spots where I caught fish and my presentation, not necessarily the baits I caught them on. I always caught fish even though I only had around ten choices of what to offer. That also saved me the anguish I have as a fly fisherman trying to understand why trout eat stuff that doesn't belong in a stream...ever.

I do the same thing fly fishing, often times stubbornly refusing to change my fly if I caught at least one fish on it. Instead I'll move along looking for spots resembling where I caught my fish and focus on my presentation. My metric for problem solving is the fly patch I use to hold my used flies till they dry. When the day's fishing is done, I can always tell how fast I figured things out by the number of flies stuck in that patch.

As far as flipping rocks and looking in the bushes goes, it's fun and educational but keep in mind just because you see bugs in those places doesn't mean their relatives will end up passing before the eyes of a waiting fish and be eaten. If that was the case, almost ANY fly should work 100% of the time.

In regards to worrying about what you may run into and the life stages of the insects; I ONCE encountered a rare Hexagenia (Hex) hatch on a creek I used to frequent which in simple terms means a hatch of a HUGE mayfly, 10 times bigger than anything I normally carry. Well, in this case I made due with what I had and managed to catch fish, maybe because a few felt sorry for me or were particularly stupid.

But, I STILL don't carry around flies big enough to imitate a Hex "just in case." The same thing can apply to the spinner or emerger life stages. Many times, fish will gorge themselves on duns and ignore the spinners when they fall to the water OR the spinner fall will occur at a time you are OFF the water, OR fish will ignore the duns and take emergers...OR...OR...OR. ;)

However, if you use your nipper or carry around a small pair of scissors, a few snips here or there and you can turn one of your mayfly dun patterns into a pretty effective imitation of a spinner or emerger in a pinch. And keep in mind, even if you did have "official" versions of a spinner or emerger in your fly box, there is no guarantee they would have been any more effective than a streamside creation made with scissors.

Lots of good suggestion by all and many options...

Regardless, you'll figure it out eventually and will end up either buying a vest with more pockets or have a lots of flies you'll never use. It all works so have fun in the meantime!

I can't tell you all how I appreciate all your knowledge and experiences. I think I have the right mindset. My goal is to go to the stream and "practice". Practice my casting, my drifts, the spots I think hold fish. Practice not scaring them, practice the right combo patterns. Then when the practice pays off, I have the most beautiful experience of sometimes catching a trout. Then figuring out why?

I see the importance of being good, especially in clear, small streams. I may only get one chance before the fish is spooked. I'll keep practicing this fine art.

I don't fish for trout that much these days. I have three boxes. A midge box, a dry box and nymph/soft hackle box. Most of my flies are generic. If I know what hatch I'm going to run into, I'll tie some to match the hatch, color and size, if I don't already have them.
Warm water/salt water. A lot of my flies are interchangeable. I use them in both. I mostly fish warm water. Often from a boat or shore. I use to carry two large boxes packed with flies, but have broken them down to smaller boxes. Top water and subsurface and by types of patterns. I have more boxes but I don't have to sort through them to find the ones I want, 6 panfish, 6 bass/panfish, and 6 bass/pickerel/pike/saltwater boxes. I might even have more. I have two soft tackle bags, large and medium. I just pick out the boxes with the patterns I want to use that day and put them in the smaller bag when I head out.

Back