Fly Box recommendations?

Steeltrap

Steeltrap

I'm looking to buy a few new fly boxes for putting inside my chest pack.

Currently I'm looking at Orvis "Culling Mill Stealth Fly Box." The dimensions appear adequate to not crush the post on up to maybe size 12 dry's.

The price is reasonable and it has a metal pin for a hinge.

Any input on a decent price metal hinge box that will not mash up those dries?

Thanks!

You want compartment fly boxes for dry flies.
Quite a few nice ones around.

I use mostly Dewitt 8 and 12 compartment boxes that I bought from FFP.
They're clear - I like being able to see everything inside - , have metal hinges, and are very reasonably priced.
Around $12 each if I remember correctly

I have to admit Dewitt. real nice, strong, dependable and affordable.

Tougher to find, now days.

Dewitt has a website, last i looked, maybe a year ago!

I like compartment boxes better for dry flies than slit foam (zero mashing of hackles, wings, post, etc.) but the Fulling Mill boxes have some nice features like polycarbonate construction, magnetic closure and a metal pinned hinge, and the price isn’t bad either.

If you do want to explore the compartment route, Dewitt Lightweight –Line boxes are far from the sexiest, but they come in a ton of sizes and configurations and they last forever. You can see the full range of sizes here.

Dewitt also makes a compartment box they call their Lifelong Line which are pricier, incredibly strong but with less options and sizes.

Finding a dealer with the exact Dewitt box you want may be a bit trickier, but I have bought direct from them in the past. They will also make you custom interiors on the Lightweight Line boxes if you meet minimums.

After that, I like the Myran boxes because they are small, have a metal hinge and last forever.

Good luck in your search!

I'm a Tacky snob, those boxes are so nice and they have a couple of specialized ones out now too. The one style holds just the bend so hackle and other stuff doesnt get crushed. they are expensive though

dryflyguy wrote:

They're clear - I like being able to see everything inside - , have metal hinges, and are very reasonably priced.

Bill, these are very difficult to find these days. Do you know if FFP still has them or if they're available from another vendor?

Thanks.

turkey wrote:
dryflyguy wrote:

Bill, these are very difficult to find these days. Do you know if FFP still has them or if they're available from another vendor?

Thanks.

I bought some there 2-3 years ago.
Don't know about now.

Another place that always had nice compartment boxes is Kettle Creek Tackle shop.
They looked exactly like the Dewitt - although they had Phils "Riffle" brand name on them.
But it has been a while since I've been up there.

I did get a couple of the Myran compartment boxes at Neshannock Creek Fly shop in Volant last year

I use cheap clear plastic compartment boxes. I really don't like them because if I wade too deep they get full of water. I would like to get some waterproof boxes.

Well, I'm not a big fan of the compartment type boxes. (Everyone has their likes n dislikes) only because I am disabled (no sympathy....just facts) and should I not "properly" open a compartment type box, the entire contents could end up in the water. At least with foam slits I have a greater chance of not doing that.

The Culling Mill Stealth Fly Box thickness is listed at .75". My current smaller fly boxes are only .5" thick and don't have a metal hinge.

For $20, I think I'm going to try the Culling Mill Stealth Fly Box. I'll let you know how this works out.

Yeah - you do have to be careful when opening them for sure.
Especially on windy days.
Still worth using for me though, as just about all my flies are hackled

How about Wheatley style boxes?
Each compartment has it's own lid

The Wheatley's are nice....but for $200 they should be!!

My fear of that box is, if I drop it I'll watch $200 of box...plus flies go floating down stream.

At least if the box is $20....I'll be saving $180. :-(

I only purchase water proof boxes. If your flies become wet due to deep wading or opening in the rain, they will rust if not dried. I have several of the Orvis brand and they keep my flies dry.

There are wheatley knockoffs around that are much more reasonable

Little update here

I stopped in FFP last week, and asked about the DeWitt compartment boxes.
Was told the company has quit making them, as of january this year.
And that's too bad - they are nice boxes.
Glad I purchased some recently, and should be stocked for quite a while

I have one of these and love it. Cut down on the amount of boxes I take to the stream. Hope I never drop it! UPG HD WALKABOUT

I like these for everything but streamers.

https://www.fishusa.com/Plano-3448-StowAway-6-Compartment-Box

(The 6 compartment box)

My favorite fly boxes are altoids tins .

I was on a kick buying floating fly boxes. I thought what a great way to protect your flies. Then my buddy fell into the stream with a floating box in his hand. There went $400.00 plus down the stream. I bought a couple slim boxes and found you want the ones with a hinge, not semi flexible plastic. I bought a few Tacky's 3 years ago and I am happy.

I have been using Morell brand fly boxes for some time now. They are lightweight, have magnet closures, they float and come in several sizes perfect for trout flies. They also come in several colors. I like the olive but that is just a personal preference. I normally carry my flies in my Richardson or Down's chest box. Those times when I skip wearing my chest boxes(ie. fishing small mountain streams) my flies are stored in my Morell boxes in a sling or hip pack.

Aventik clear compartment boxes are a good deal, in my opinion. The 12 compartment box is perfect for some dry flies for a day of fishing. They come in different compartment sizes too..can be had for $10 on Amazon.

Back