Fly angler oriented spin fishing report: Schuylkill R, Schuylkill Co (Cressona)

M

Mike

Fished the Schuylkill for two hours in early evening with a spinner, covering about 350 yds. Created my own "spinner fall." The river had been very high and was back to a fast moving, slightly off color, fishable, but above normal level. One had to carefully choose spots to cross the river, even though the average width was only 55 ft. Under such conditions and with limited time, I leave the fly rod at home. This was a trip designed to explore: cover some ground, depth, and width, but do so thoroughly, and conditions were ideal for bait or spin fishing. Water temp was 55 deg F.

I say that it was a fly-oriented trip because I was exploring for future reference. Midges were in the air in quantity and sparse numbers of tan or green caddis were flying about. I saw no surface activity from the insects or the fish. Checking the undersides of rocks revealed an aquatic macroinvertebrate community that is typical of an organically enriched stream. All organisms were pollution tolerant. Moderate numbers were present but diverstiy was poor.

Present were Hydropsychids (green, tan caddis), leather-cased caddis, scuds, sow (cress) bugs, Baetids (mayfly), leeches, and flatworms (Dugesia sp from high school biology). Scuds and sow bugs were surprising, as was the macroinvertebrate abundance, which revealed, as the plump (fat) condition of the trout also did, that forage is not a limiting factor in that part of the Schuylkill. Given that the river was viewed as being dead up until about the late 1990's in that area, this was quite a recovery to see now. Rolled rocks were black on the bottom, indicative of anaerobic conditions in the sediment either now or in the recent past, however.

Captured were seven brown trout and based on color and/or fins six ranging from 9-13 inches appeared to be from the fingerling stockings, which have been conducted annually since 1991. Lost were two more of a similar or smaller size. Also caught one wild trout by all appearances. It was a 20" on the nose, beautiful, fat, yellow fish with sparse, but large spots. Also caught 9" and 13" fallfish, as well as a couple of tree limbs and rocks.

That was a productive 2 hours I would say Mike! What type of spinner were you using? Interesting report, thanks.

Congrats on the 20-incher; that doesn't happen too often regardless of what type of equipment you use.

Interesting and promising report Mike. Good to see an improving macro community. Maybe we'll see stoneflies show up in the future(?).
Congrats on that big brown.

Stream conditions here in Adams County are excellent right now - the cold, steady rain we've had the last couple days have got the local ATWs in great shape. I stopped by a local ATW this evening and it was bank full and 57 degrees. This particular stream is usually low and pushing 70 by early June.

Anyway, good to hear continued positive news about the upper Skuke. Keep us informed.

All gold, fairly large home-made with a heavy split shot about a foot ahead. Thanks. That fish took me back to my Logan Branch days, as did the conditions and some of the fast flow, depth, and habitat.

Fishidiot, the river has a history of mining and sewage treatment related pollution problems. It has made major strides toward recovery in the cold water stretch from about Landingville, which is below Schuylkill Haven, to the headwaters above Tuscarora; however, it is still a work in progress. Dedicated groups, individuals, and agencies are gradually making this happen, but the extent of the problems has required a very long term commitment that is ongoing.

The quality of the trout fishery varies from location to location. The segment roughly mid-way between Cressona and Pottsville downstream to Rt 443 at the lower end of Schuylkill Haven continues to receive fingerling stockings. A modest to fair population is present, depending upon one's perspective and location, but fishing can be good. There are some wild Browns and brooks as well.

Upstream, various densities of wild brook trout , some poor, some good, exist from a couple of miles upstream from Port Carbon to the headwaters area near Tuscarora. Some remnants of the fingerling trout stocking program in that stretch may still remain there as well, or an occasional brown or rainbow may have moved upstream from the presently stocked stretch.

A one meal per month health advisory concerning PCB's in trout exists for a portion of the river as described in the rear of the Summary Booklet of Fishing Regulations.

For various reasons the anglers with whom I have spoken or have corresponded release their fish. More than once local anglers have told me that they had never expected to catch trout from the Schuylkill in their lifetimes and that they just enjoy the opportunity.

thanks for the info, great that there are some wild ST up along 209

What are "leather-cased caddis?"

Great report, Mike.

It is very encouraging to see a river that has long been considered dead and buried come back to life. It gives hope that if we continue to work hard, we can bring back many of the streams and rivers that have been ravaged by the greedy in this State.

BTW, I Googled "leather-cased caddis" and the only thing that came up on Google was Mike's post above...lol.

I'm also interested about leather-cased caddis.

Sorry, I had an "old-school" field instructor regarding aquatic macroinvertebrates. The leather-cased caddis are actually called much more commonly and officially "purse-case makers."

Errata: fingerlings first stocked in Schuylkill R in 2001, not 1991.

Time to take a break and do some more fishing.

Thanks for the report Mike! I do my grocery shopping at the Giant in Cressona and have been meaning to hit this stretch for years. I guess I just have to cross too many trout streams on the way so I never bothered. Haha, it's only about 20 minutes from home. Life's full of tough choices. :)

Boyer

I fish often from the Cressona mall upstream. This year, I've struggled. Saturday was the first day I caught anything all year, only 3 browns. I assumed they were wild but they may be hold-overs from the fingerling stockings. Didn't look that close at them. I saw sparse caddis, but no major hatch to speak of, and I only saw one rising fish in the half mile I fished. All 3 were caught on my dropper, an olive caddis pupa. The water is constantly off-color up there. It's still very much a recovering river, and has a ways to go, but it is showing promising signs. Just wish there was more surface activity.

Mike there are a few small tribs that contribute limestone spring water to the river near there. 2 of them go through the town of Cressona. Plus there are many tributaries treated for AMD, but it is surprising nonetheless that there are scuds and cress bugs.

Chaz wrote:
Mike there are a few small tribs that contribute limestone spring water to the river near there. 2 of them go through the town of Cressona. Plus there are many tributaries treated for AMD, but it is surprising nonetheless that there are scuds and cress bugs.

Thanks Chaz! I always wonder about the one little stream that runs through there! It's always green, even in winter. The last time.i took hillside road I noticed sever old houses made of limestone. To me that's something I look for as evidence of isolated limestone outcroppings.

Boyer

Chaz, we surveyed those tribs during unassessed waters surveys a few yrs ago. One supports wild trout. They flow into the West Branch of the Schuylkill.

Back