fluorocarbon leader / tippet systems

ginkyhackle

ginkyhackle

Simple question:

fluorocarbon has many advantages. -- eg. less reflective, lower abrasion rate, stronger than mono.

However, for dry fly fishing it does seem to sink. How do folks address this problem? Mono for dries and fluorocarbon for nymphs and streamers? Have folks experimented with unique pairings of the two?

ginky

for dry fly ffishing around Chester Ct, I use most 7 and 8X; maybe 6X. The surface tension effect on such fine diameters overcomes the higher density issue.

In any case, I Gink or Abolene or otherwise goop the leaders, so I don't worry about fluoro sinking.

tl
les

I just don't use the stuff unless I absolutely need it.

The only real times that I can justify needing it off the top of my head:

Fishing for toothy fish. It allows you to use a much heavier bite tippet due to the low visibility and abrasion resistance. Mainly do this for spanish mackerel.

Very very clear water midging and nymphing.

It's too expensive anyway.

I use Berkley Vanish in 2, 4, and 6 pound test depending on the water and I love the stuff. I don't notice it sinking on me when fishing with dry flies.

The phd's of the fishing world say floro has about the same molecular weight as water, and that said they also say fish have a hard time seeing it. I have personaly seen Trout duck my 8x floro tippet like it was a N.Y.C. Transit Bus. Floro still prisims light and I think thats more important than its molecular structure than any thing else. A freind of mine was Bone fishing many years ago with the likes of Billy Pate, Lefty ,and some of the other greats of the sport , and he was out fishing them. They didnt believe him when he said he uses Maxima Brown mono . He tied them some leaders for the following day and made believers out of them all. Why??. It doesnt prisim light. I had to edit this because i didnt want the wrong impression going out. In bright clear water i use brown or green tippet and leader, in shady or off color water i swear by Orvis Mirage .Floror will sink faster than mono so just put some flotant on your tippet and leader. The old timers called it " greasing the line" . Hope this helps you out. New isnt better its just new.

My theory is that the fish only sees the last few feet of leader. So I put on flouro tippet for nymphing and replace with mono for dry flies. I generally use a mono leader but my go to flouro if I'm only nymphing.

Thats too much line for me to carry in my vest. Thats why I just stick with the fluorcarbon for the last 4 or 5 feet of my leader. The rest is heavy mono.

Back