Florida surf

1manwolfpack

I'm headed down to west palm beach this weekend for a wedding. I was planning on hitting the beach in the mornings and throwing clousers on a sink-tip with my 8 weight. I was just curious what species I'd be "likely" to run in to. Mostly just doing it for some me time but wouldn't mind any tips to improve my odds. Mornings are pretty much the only time I have but was wondering if I needed to be out there right at the crack of dawn. In the event that I do get some evening fishing, are "dock snook" year round targets at night? Thanks in advance for some knowledge.

1manwolfpack wrote:
I'm headed down to west palm beach this weekend for a wedding. I was planning on hitting the beach in the mornings and throwing clousers on a sink-tip with my 8 weight. I was just curious what species I'd be "likely" to run in to. Mostly just doing it for some me time but wouldn't mind any tips to improve my odds. Mornings are pretty much the only time I have but was wondering if I needed to be out there right at the crack of dawn. In the event that I do get some evening fishing, are "dock snook" year round targets at night? Thanks in advance for some knowledge.

I'd guess that the dock-light snook game would be on but I'm not sure.

For the surf in the am you've got a shot at all sorts of fishes with specks and pompano likely the most consistent. Some spanish macks, reds, and maybe some jacks might be around too. Maybe a shot at rolling tarpon if you're lucky.

Good luck with your trip.

One tip I might have would be to diversify your flies just a bit more than a clouser. Clousers are usually kind of thin, and when those fish are on some sort of bait that's a bit thicker, a clouser may not work. This link might give some ideas if you tie your own flies: https://www.saltstrong.com/fishing-tip/3-best-live-bait-fish-in-florida/

I'd suggest fishing the surf with a focus on the first trough. If there happens to be any sort of structure like a pier or inlet, I'd give that area a shot as well. A lot of times early in the morning, I've fished decent schools of jacks--you'll know it's them cause they really make a mess of of their food.

Two more things, I'm always shocked at how fast I usually need to fish my flies to get a strike in the salt, and I also would try my best to have some sort of stripping guard. Goodluck

Look for birds working the shallows. There may still be snook in the surf line as well as pompano. It's hot here and early or late will help keep you cooler. GG

Follow up:
http://www.floridasportsman.com/2017/08/03/southeast-weekend-fishing-4cast/ GG

Thanks guys, great info! As far as leader/tippit, am I good with just a straight section of mono? How long and heavy should I go? As far as gear clean up goes, am I good just taking my rod into the shower?

Leader: 3 ft 40 3 ft 30 3ft20 should do. Wire tippet if you get into mackerel. You could shower with the rod? Spray rod and reel with fresh water. Take the spool off the reel, rinse the line under a running tap, and wipe the reel dry . Let the spool sit and drain water off the line. Oil the spool shaft and reassemble. Salt water will find a way to get into a reel so take care of it. GG

Just saw this post hopefully not too late...
Agree with the above. There should be snook around still and you can walk the beaches all day and sight fish for them. First light is always a good bet for all species. If you're lucky you find some Jacks crashing bait in close...if you hook into a 10+ lber you won't forget it
Once the sun comes up it's easier to spot the snook. They're not easy to spot but once you spot one and recognize the ghost like grey hue it gets easier. I had a local guide take me under wing and we walked the beaches for a few days straight...she called me out for following a grocery bag the first day.
Other than that, as always in the salt, hope the wind is in your favor.

Back