Floating upper Juniata questions

CLSports

CLSports

A group of us are looking to do a drift boat float for smallies on the upper Juniata somewhere between Mill Creek to just down river from Lewistown or Mifflintown area.

Does anyone have any experience floating in this stretch? Better water than others through there? Doable in a drift boat? Flows ok currently for hard boats? We may get a bump from the hurricane this weekend hopefully. We are flexible with the put in and take out spots and would do a float of say about 5-6 miles or possibly longer.

We have scouted out areas in the Mill Creek sections, but would like some local intel if possible.

Any info would be much appreciated. PM if you feel it is necessary.

My last float was up there. About a month ago and it was starting to get skinny. Walking (dragging) might be needed in a few spots between Mifflintown and Greenwood. Floating down to Amity will be impassable.

floated two separate stretches in a flycraft inflatable.
Mifflin to walker (port royal). The water was a little heavier than compared to now. Few good fishing places from mifflin to mifflin town (rt35). I'd start in mifflintown (rt35). You will have trouble with a drift boat in a couple of places. I had to get out in two locations in the flycraft
The next float was from mill creek to Mt union. Same thing- it would be tough in a drift boat. I had to get out three times and that's in a low draft boat. We got out at MM 81, what a chore to use the primitive site. A good 30 yards from floatable water to takeout-shallow rocks. There is a new boat ramp upstream of there that does not appear on maps. I wish I knew! I think it was near the jefferson st bridge, but don't hold me to that.

Avoid the water below the Newton Falls for about a mile. You won't be floating. You'll be walking a boat along. I've floated all of that water. You could float from the Mcveytown launch to the Granville launch just fine. You could float from the Granville launch to the Lewistown launch just fine..and, you could float from Lewistown to the Arch Rock access with no problems. That is what I would do.

Mill Creek to Mt. Union should be doable as well. Just avoid below the Newton Falls.

Thanks everyone so much for the replies. This helps out a lot.

I have a drift boat and float the river a lot
Like 50 days a years.. Do not float above Mt union below 500cfs mt union to newton you better have 700 but 800 if you dont know it unless you dont mind getting out and pushing. Newton big riffle and well below is a no go under 600cfs. Lower river is good in low flows but know where to go or you could have a push

Back