floating the little J

M

mprahd

Hi All,
Does anyone have experience floating the little J? I see there are a few PBFC ramps along the stretch between Tyrone and spruce creek. I am not familiar with this area, and am just looking for some input on if its doable or there are steep banks you cant get out/ too slow of flows/private land/etc. I am looking to plan out a few trips for spring/summer and keep hearing good things about the little J.

Many thanks
Mason

I've floated the Little J in that section particularly when there is higher water (fewer wading anglers), say 400-800 CFS at the spruce creek gage.

Hi All,
Does anyone have experience floating the little J? I see there are a few PBFC ramps along the stretch between Tyrone and spruce creek. I am not familiar with this area, and am just looking for some input on if its doable or there are steep banks you cant get out/ too slow of flows/private land/etc. I am looking to plan out a few trips for spring/summer and keep hearing good things about the little J.

Many thanks
Mason
I float the LJ with an inflatable pontoon in the spring. What type of craft do you have? I am always looking for float partners. I float starting at the church in Spruce Creek and take out at the end of the gorge. Let me know if you are interested in hooking up in the spring.

I have never done it, but 100% intend to this year. It is high up there on my list. (kayak)

Biggie, how long of a float is that? And very interested in a partner, plus in need of a shuttle!

Very cool! I might have to take you up on this offer. I was looking at the stretch above spruce creek, but this could work.

I have a couple options for watercraft, I have a kayak or a small 2 person raft with rowing frame

I have never done it, but 100% intend to this year. It is high up there on my list. (kayak)

Biggie, how long of a float is that? And very interested in a partner, plus in need of a shuttle!
Without fishing, it takes 45 min. We usually start around noon and take out at dark. Depending on hatches ect. It is a great section down through the evil empire. We will have to connect this spring.

Very cool! I might have to take you up on this offer. I was looking at the stretch above spruce creek, but this could work.

I have a couple options for watercraft, I have a kayak or a small 2 person raft with rowing frame
The yak will work the best. Def. connect this spring.

Thanks biggie! Are you normally fishing while floating, or floating to specific spots then getting out and fishing?

Thanks biggie! Are you normally fishing while floating, or floating to specific spots then getting out and fishing?
'Mostly float to an area, get out a fish it, then move down to the next area. Once in a while I will cast a dry fly will floating through a deep slow pool.

I’ve been thinking about this float. Got a fishing kayak two years ago and have wanted to float the little j. Pcray, Biggie I’d be interested too. Shuttle issues are why I haven’t done it yet.

boychick, later in the spring I will post on here about hitting the LJ.

Albatross , The Don and Myself did it a few Jams ago when there was really high water in a 3 man pontoon. Think too high to wade safely. We launched in Tyrone and floated to the Quarry section. It was a blast and the fishing was great. I have also seen guys put in drift boats at the gorge parking lot area a couple of times. I'd only float it if it is high as otherwise you will just come upon angler after angler. Worth doing - yes. Just pick your day when it is high.

We did the same on oil creek opening day for grannoms. We crushed risers all day , again too high to wade. No wading fishermen to get around.

Bring your boats to the Jam - Pretty much guarantees high water :)

Lets do this... lol. Getting cabin fever and wanting to get the boat back out...

IMG 4138

I'm curious about floating in smaller waters that are typically only the realm of wading anglers. Isn't it somewhat difficult to negotiate around many guys that are wading? The LJ is about the size of the Willowemoc in NY. I know if guys began floating it there would be major confrontations between waders and floaters. The Beaverkill is much wider than the LJ yet there has been an unwritten rule, decades, that it just isn't floated. Too many waders. I'm not saying it has never been done but those foolhardy enough to try it will never forget the tirade they will have to endure throughout the float

The WB and main have traditionally been floating rivers. But in May I would never put the Hyde in the No Kill from Deposit to Hale Eddy. There will be dozens of waders and dozens of drift boats. Even for experienced boat men it can be a challenge to get around everyone without ruffling someone's feathers. In May I prefer to float the lower WB from balls Eddy to Shehawken because access is very limited and I rarely encounter any wading fly fishers.

Much to my dismay over the last dozen or so years guides are now floating the upper EB. No bigger than the LJ. It is acceptable with higher flows when wading is not possible. But when flows get down to 600 cfs and below those guides should go elsewhere. You can hear oars banging from 100 yards away. The trout literally disappear and may not rise again for hours.

Sometimes I float the WB from Hale Eddy to Balls Eddy in a pontoon because Hale Eddy is not set up as a real drift boat launch.

Attachments

• Bronco1.jpg
    Bronco1.jpg
    324.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
The pic above was taken on the Swatara, around Jonestown. Significantly smaller than the LJR. But summertime. I've floated Oil, Tionesta, Pine, Tulpehocken, Schuylkill (from Schuylkill Haven, where it's small), and even Kettle. But.... I'm fairly new to the kayak game, and stuck to summertime. Bass fishin.

There is no issue with having enough water to float, I could go significantly smaller streams. Yes the concern to doing trouty trips is the number of wading anglers. I know the routine, go behind waders. But if crowded you pretty much would be paddling down the shore. That's why those above are saying stick to high water events, when the vast majority of waders are off the water. The fishing can still be good, but having a yak gives you that access advantage when high water limits wading mobility.

Last edited:
There is no issue with having enough water to float, I could go significantly smaller streams. Yes the concern to doing trouty trips is the number of wading anglers.
In my mind it isn't having enough water to float as it is annoying other waders when it is low. As both a wader and a boat owner I know the frustration I, and others feel, when a floater, in any watercraft, comes down river and and either floats in front of us, or in many cases, has to walk the craft behind a wader because it is too shallow.

Too shallow isn't much of an issue in a yak. I need about 2 inches of water to float.

And yeah, go behind the wader is the rule.
If its wader after wader though you are just paddling down the shore line and it isn't much fun and defeats the point. Yeah.

I have never had problems with wading fisherman while floating the LJ. Most of the water is too deep for wading and I park and get out of the toon to fish an area then float down to the next fishable area. Have never encountered a fisherman in the evil empire area, don't know why.

Back