Floating rivers

F

Flystuff53

I'm coming in from Michigan to fish central pa this may. Planning on bringing my smithfly big shoals raft.
A couple of questions
Am I required to register or anything else my raft?
I've left messages at paboat.
Any section of rivers you would recommend floating?
Staying in lycoming county, pine creek area.
Thanks!
Tight lines

If you plan on launching and taking out at PFBC ramps you will need as a minimum either registration of your craft from your home state or a PA Use permit which can be purchased on the PFBC web site. The web site also thoroughly explains requirements.

I don't fish those areas so I have no knowledge of where you might fish. Some other forum members may be able to comment. Some PA rivers may be large enough to float but aren't because wading anglers don't like to be bothered with pontoon boats floating in back, or in front of them. Also if the waters you are thinking of floating don't have ramps or areas to launch the boat how are you planning on putting in?

I fish mostly in NY and while the Beaverkill River is quite large and could easily be floated there is a tradition , so to speak, that no one ever floats it. If someone was to float it I'm sure it would be a very unpleasant day for the floaters as the wading anglers would be cussing the boater out all day long.

Pine should still be floatable and offers some great fishing for stocked trout as well as smallmouth bass, more emphasis on smallmouth bass as you get further downstream. The West Branch Susquehanna could also provide you with a good float trip for smallmouth bass as well as lower Bald Eagle Creek.

WB Susky, Pine and a few other places should be fine for the raft (provided it rains between now and then). As stated, launch permit is only a couple of bucks.

As wbranch mentioned, some places don't get floated due to tradition / history. I have been standing in Carina pool on the Beaverkill when a group of kayaks came through. They were verbally abused and things were thrown at them. I was unaware of the unwritten rule and I'm glad I saw it before I did the same thing.

Pine Creek is a great float. Ansonia to Blackwell is very scenic and the fishing is good.

Pine Creek Gorge
Big Meadows Access to Rattlesnake Rock Access.
I'd want at least 2.5 feet on the USGS Pine Creek @ Cedar Run gage for floating with a raft. Can be run lower but i'd want a canoe for lower water.

shuttles available here
http://www.pinecrk.com/shuttles/shuttles.html

Map Here
https://wellsboropa.com/images/Pine-Creek.pdf

Thanks everyone. Interesting about floating the rivers. I fish the ausable and manistee rivers in northern Michigan and float it on a regular basis via an ausable river boat or raft.
I'll be respectful of local traditions

Pine Creek is one of the most heavily floated rivers (primarily kayaks and canoes) during the summer months in the entire state, you will not be impacting any local traditions. Perhaps be mindful of the evening hatches as many flyfishers will be out in force even on weekdays throughout much of May. The stretch right below Cedar Run and Slate Run probably congregate the most anglers. Regardless, whenever you float, you will not be alone.

Yes they are! Stealthy too!

Back