Floating line sinking

acesedgley

acesedgley

I've noticed lately that the first couple feet of my line is sinking, which is causing my deer hair poppers to get dragged underwater on the pickup for the next cast, getting them waterlogged more quickly than they otherwise would.
If cleaning and dressing do not help the situation, I intend to cut back the line and reattach leader to see if that helps.
Any suggestions/thoughts?

How old is the line? Like you said, if cleaning and dressing don't work (a little dry fly floatant in a pinch) it may be time for a new line, too. If it's still in the taper, you may buy some time cutting some off, but that too will get water-logged in time.

Fish foam or wood poppers and then them getting pulled under won't matter. Sounds like time for a new line, though.

Time for new line

That will actually give you a better pop with the line puling it under more during the retrieve .

cutting back a few feet of fly line when bass bugging won't make much difference in presentation. It may help the bug to turn over better, in fact.

like Fredrick said, a few feet of sunk line can also help the pop, when fishing cork or foam poppers. Not so much with deer hair, though. They tend to get pulled under and ride subsurface.

I've had new lines do this.

seal the end of line after cutting, lines are made of Dacron and absorb water. little trick the manufacturers don't tell so they can sell more lines

Dirty lines will sink just as easily as cracked ones, so before you cut off line, thoroughly clean the line, feeling for cracks and deep abrasions. And, as sandfly says, if you have to cut, always re-seal the exposed core area at the cut.

Buy some payette paste and put it on the end, works great.

Sinking floating line is kind of like hot ice cubes.

Attachments

• Hot Ice.png
    Hot Ice.png
    76.3 KB · Views: 1
Lol Swattie and thanks all for the replies!
Fishing Mauch Chunk lake last couple days....treating the line with floatant helps and I will do a thorough cleaning and inspection when i get back.

Back