Floatant

S

shultzy501

What's your favorite dry fly floatant?

For reviving a drowned fly, I haven't found anything better that frog fanny. I think the same stuff is also used in a product by loon called top ride - it also contains some kind of drying crystals - but it works very well too.
As for treating a new fly before use, I make my own floatant with lighter fluid and mucilin paste. I keep it in a small bottle on my vest, and just dunk the whole fly after i tie it on. I got this idea from George Harvey's book.
I never cared for the thick, gooey floatants that you have to fart around with by working it into the fly parts, -and the hackle gets matted. A lot easier to give it a quick dunk and fish IMO

I agree with dryflyguy - Frog's Fanny for reviving drowned flies. I use Gink for treating flies.

I've tried Loon Aquel and it works as well as Gink, but Gink seems to last longer. Just put a BB sized glob on your fingers and work in into the fly. I also treat the leader and end of the fly line with Gink. I helps float the leader/line and helps with mending and strike dectection with or without an indicator.

Gink...for applying to a fresh fly...keeps it floating longer than anything Ive ever used. As for reviving a wet fly...if I've applied Gink before it gets wet the first time, false casting dries it right out. Even if its been fish slimed. After that its the drying patch and a new fly.

Dear Schultzy,

Go to the drugstore and buy a big tub of Albolene cleanser cream.

200.jpg

It's the same stuff as Gink and $ 10.49 gets you a lifetime supply.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I'll have to check this stuff out but I be the Beta Carotene is a little unnecessary. :lol:

>It's the same stuff as Gink and $ 10.49 gets you a lifetime supply.>

Thank God George Gehrke is no longer alive to hear you say that...

It would have killed him, nevermind the fact that is is probably true.

I remember the guys on ROFF turturing him endlessly with this idea for years and years.

On the other hand, George probably had it coming. He was a world class PITA, God rest his soul...:)

Dear RLeeP,

At least you know I'm not BSing you when I say that!

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

Just picked up some Frogs Fanny. Its really strange stuff. The powder flew out of the bottle when I opened it.

I didn't stop at the drug store for the facial cream yet!

I use Gink with a new fly, and I also use Frogs Fanny for slimed/soaked flies. But I also use a more granular silica dessicant for slimed/soaked flies, such as Loon Easy Dry. It doesn't fly all over the place like Frogs Fanny. The granular stuff is what I normally use, and I use the Frogs Fanny for CDC and smaller/finer flies. And if I'm really desperate I'll use the granular stuff, then the Frogs Fanny. And if I'm really, really desperate, I'll use Gink after squeezing the water out on my sleeve and drying with both dessicants! (This usually happens if I only have one of a particular fly left, and that's all the trouts want.)

Anyone everyuse Scotch Guard to pre treat the dry flys? I was reading the thread and this came to mind

No, but I treat my newly tied dries with Watershed. I don't know how much good it does though. I normally still apply Gink when I tie on a new fly. I guess I'm a belt and suspenders type guy.

I used to pretreat my flies with RainX after tying them, but I stopped. I'm not sure why, I guess I just ran out of RainX and never bought more. I did notice that it would ruin some colors.

The Watershed darkens many of the colors, but I think they probably darken the same when they get wet. I believe the Watershed permanently darkens them. I'll have to check this out.

I often use many of my dries as wets (especially caddis) when the need arises, so I never pre-treat.

i used to pretreat with RainX also until i read somewhere that it doesnt work they way you think it would.

Now i just use Gink

I think it's Dick Talleur who mentioned Scotchgaurd. I tried it once. Worked well and the fly stayed dry quite a while. Never used it again and can't remember why not.
Coughlin

I use Gink mostly, it can be a pain to melt in cold weather. To use you need only a small amount and let it melt on your fingertips then rub gently into fly. If you apply it not melted to a cold fly it will mat and gum somewhat, then you will probably crush the hackle trying to melt it. The thing I like about Gink is that you can control how much and where you put it. In other words on a parachute fly you can put it just on the post and hackle and not the body of the fly. This allows the body to sit under the surface and that is what you may need to induce a strike. You can also grease your leader with it except for the last several inches to float a nymph near the surface. Do not use it on a CDC comparadun type fly it will ruin the CDC, at least temporarily.
I use Frog's Fanny to revive a fly. With the brush you can again pretty much apply it where you want(ie. hackle and post), just protect the body of the fly with your finger tips. It also works well to revive fish slimed CDC. I use a cloth to gently mat and squeeze out excess water and slime before applying.
I will have to check out that Albolene.
Good Luck
:p
Flyman

I use Gink and Abilene. Same stuff. I gotta try some of that new stuff that Sandfly is selling though. One of his customers told me he put it on a fly and caught 32 fish and the fly was still floating. If it keeps a dry floating that long, just imagine the possibilities. Maybe it'll grow hair on my head to. I'm gonna try it. :)

I used to use Gink because everyone I knew used Gink when I was learning. Gink Stinks!

Below 55 degrees it is basically frozen, above 80 and it has the consistnacy of water and flys out of the bottle.

I use the liquid flotant by loon now. A buck more but lasts longer as I don't waste copious amounts in hot weather. It remains a consitant thickness in any temps.

Bede

Back