float tube vs pontoon

bowmandjk

bowmandjk

i have a old round float tube and was looking at a new fish cat 4 but i also have seen the inflatable pontoon boats but have no knowledge of them, my friends all use float tubes any input would be great

If you already have a float tube than I wouldn't go to a pontoon unless you ere gonna get a big one hit big rivers. If you are just looking to cover some ground i would look more toward a sit on top kayak to add to your fishing repertoire. I love my old float tubes. Buck bags. I also have a Hobie SOT that I like too. Apple and oranges. I like that I never have to stop fishing or even put down the rod in the tube to move around.

If you plan on using your float tube in moving water, don't. The danger of getting your knee smashed or your feet hung up in a float tube is very real. I have seen guys with some nasty injuries from using float tubes in moving water.

Even if you just want something to fish still water there are benefits to having a toon. You sit higher off the water, you can scoot around faster and most toons have more storage room. Toons may be a bit heavier, but if that is an issue there are some easily packable toons out there too.

Dear bowmandjk,

I have a couple of float tubes and a pontoon. I like them but for different reasons.

If all you want to do is kick around a lake and fish nothing beats a float tube. You can fin kick a pontoon, but it is nothing like a tube.

You can carry more gear with a float tube including a couple of rods that are rigged differently. Try doing that with a float tube.

You really need to consider the waters you are fishing and your goals. On a big river like the Lehigh or the Delaware a quality float tube makes it easy to cross large pools vs. wading. Flybop is right though, they ain't for river running. Pontoons can't be easily returned to your starting point on moving water without a shuttle vehicle or a lot of work.

For lakes only all you really need is tube, but I would never own a doughnut style tube. I've seen some nasty accidents in those by people who were simply trying to walk to or from the lake. Get a more modern open ended tube like the Fish-Cat and you won't regret it.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

i personal like my toon alot!!! but i also fish all moving wather and bigger streams...like everyone else has said its all in what you do with them. i have a trolling motor mount on my toon(never used it yet) but that would get me back to where i started! there are alot of fun to use!

Back