Float trips within short drive?

B

burns

Hi folks,

I'm new here. I'm actually located in VA, but I work for a company based in PA and am in the state multiple times per month. I fish mostly around central PA, near Harrisburg, but I get around the state a fair bit.

I'm reconnecting with an old friend who is now into fly fishing and lives in PA. We are planning a short fishing trip (1-2 days) for September, and he's interested in a float trip for trout. The only float I've done in the east was on the Watauga in TN, so I'm not that familiar with nearby locations.

I was thinking of the upper delaware. Do you folks have other suggestions around, say, VA, MD, PA, or maybe NY? If the upper delaware is the best option, do you folks have suggestions for a good guide you've worked with in past?

Thanks for any feedback!

Burns

burns wrote:
Hi folks,

I'm new here. I'm actually located in VA, but I work for a company based in PA and am in the state multiple times per month. I fish mostly around central PA, near Harrisburg, but I get around the state a fair bit.

I'm reconnecting with an old friend who is now into fly fishing and lives in PA. We are planning a short fishing trip (1-2 days) for September, and he's interested in a float trip for trout. The only float I've done in the east was on the Watauga in TN, so I'm not that familiar with nearby locations.

I was thinking of the upper delaware. Do you folks have other suggestions around, say, VA, MD, PA, or maybe NY? If the upper delaware is the best option, do you folks have suggestions for a good guide you've worked with in past?

Thanks for any feedback!

Burns

The Upper Delaware would be a great place for a float trip in September. I recommend Cross current guide service to use as your guide.

There are plenty of motels to stay at in the area or you can stay in cabins at the West Branch Anglers or the Delaware River Club which are more expensive but both located along the River and have fishing access for before or after your float. Good luck on your trip.

I would advise you NOT to use west branch anglers to set you up with a guide, especially in a last minute kind of scenario.

Thanks for the advice guys. My only hesitation with the upper delaware is that I have heard the pressure can make it really, really tough. It's still somewhat of a "bucket list" river so, even so, would be worth it.

You might want to float the Susquehanna River or Juniata River for smallmouth in September.

The best fishing I've had for smallmouth has been in September.

I personally like, Tiadaughton to Blackwell. Need a little water or you will be getting out a bit! You will pass big cliffs on left, many a big bird sailing around, cliffs to your left.

2 day trip. Blackwell to Browns Run island. Spend the night, no problem. Then Browns Run to Jersey Shore.

Do not spend too much time at the Camp Kline stretch. Really good, or it will take 3 days!

Maxima12

Float trip options for fall trout:
Yough (temperature dependent)
Lehigh (temperature dependent)
Allegheny (temperature dependent)
Clarion (temperature and access dependent)
N. Br. Potomac (flow and temperature dependent)
Upper Delaware (flow and temperature dependent)

As you mentioned, the Delaware system can get quite busy. In the fall, the lakes turn over and the water gets dirty. If you catch it at that time you will probably be disappointed but the fishing can still be okay. Are the fish highly pressured and difficult to catch? Most of the time.

Warm water options:
Potomac
Susquehanna
Juniata
Shenandoah
Yough (lower)
Schuylkill
Delaware water Gap
Lower Pine and many more

Hmm...I hadn't thought of the North Branch Potomac. You guys think it might be more productive / less pressure than Upper Delaware? I know everything is condition dependent, just curious about general/average comparison here.

Hard to beat WB of the Delaware for technical dry fly fishing. Great guides at both Delaware River club and Cross Current. I spend ~20 days a year up there and I always find a spot to fish. Yes you will see other people and boats but the river will test you and reward you.

I did the Lehigh a couple years ago starting in Jim Thorpe. PM me if you want some more details

I like the Jackson River tailwater in VA to float for trout. Another awesome float trip would be the New River for smallmouth.

Back