flies?

F

Fluger87

would you consider any of these flies for the nw area of pa? And one of these starter kits as well? Im looking for opinions so i know what direction i need to go in. Cause i am looking to getting a fly rod and reel so i want to go with a kit. But dont no what kind of flies i will need. And any other stuff that i need to do this the right way, as in do i need to use a leader and if so what kind ect! thank you!

Flies

http://search.gandermountain.com/?Ne=1000&N=1490&cname=Fly-Fishing

Starter Kits

http://search.gandermountain.com/?Ne=1000&N=1488&cname=Fly-Fishing

i like L.L. beans flies, they helped me get started. As for the started kits i recently started. I got a pflueger starter kit 5wt and i cant complain about it for 50$, plus if you end up not getting into it you didn't lose much.

some flies i would suggest for trout that would double up as pan fish flies are:

nymphs : BH prince nymph, gold ribbed hares ear , pheasant tail
Streamers: wooly bugger, clouser minnow, muddler minnow
dries: adams fly, elk hair caddis,

That Montana fly Co. assortment would work, but don't overlook Wal Mart, they have Cortland flies in 2 packs that are of the same quality. And also some assortments.

You first need to consider what streams you are going to fish before you select a bunch of flies in an assortment that may or may not be indiginous to NWPA. Generally the flies that hatch in trout stream in NWPA are the same as flies that hatch elsewhere in PA with the caveat that if they have good water quality they will have more flies. The type of habitat also determines the flies a particular stream may have.
Flies are limited by pollution, structure, substrate, and stream bottom. If a stream has good water quality but runs on a bottom of bedrock it's not going to have the number of species that another stream has that runs on a substrate of cobble. It can be the difference between Slate Run and Stony Fork. Both streams are in north central PA. Stony is a stocked stream and Slate has a wild trout population.
There are other differences, but the type of structure and substrate makes a big difference. Agriculture plays a role in Stonys water quality, as well as on Slate you have a completely forested watershed.
So be careful choosing a fly selection. Get one for PA. The rod and reel you will use varies by what type of water you plan on fishing. Large water requires a different rod than you'd use on a small stream. My advise to anyone starting out is to cast as many rod combos as you can before you make a selection. You can't do that online. You have to go to a shop to do that.

I have seen several places that offer selections for all the different regions-The ones they offered ones for Montana were not what the shops out there would suggest so be leery.

I personally think that studying hatches in your area then just buying some single flies from flystop will be cheaper and more effective. But to start, just get the staple nymphs : Pheasant tail, hare's ear, prince, copper john, tellico, zug bug, etc.
staple dries : Elk hair caddis, adams, royal wulff, para adams, griffith's gnat
streamers : until you get more involved, I'd say get a bunch of different color and size buggers.
and some junk flies : green weenie, san juans, glo bugs, eggi juans.. etc.

oh, and http://www.theflystop.com/

The fly assortment that Fluer87 asked about were sold by Montana fly co. as mayfly life cycle assortmaent not a Montana fly assortment, I think things are better if they are kept simple for some one that hasn't even started flyfishing yet.

I appreciate all of you comments and I will take all the advice and put it to some good use, in bits and pieces! Thank you All very Much! And best of luck to you all! HAPPY FISHING!!!!!

Orvis has a really good deal on a fly selection for the next few days. Buy a couple and you should be good to go.

http://www.orvis.com/store/product.aspx?pf_id=76TK&dir_id=758

Back