Fleece Liners

flyfishermanj

flyfishermanj

Guys and Gals,

Are fleece liners that much nicer than a pair of fleece sweat pants? I understand you won't find the sweat pants as thick the liners, but seems to be a little pricey for a stirrup being sewed into the leg openings. Opinions welcome.

JH

I like mine. Less bulk at the ankles and seem to help stay warmer,imo. I'd like a pair with belt loops and more than one pocket.GG

A few years ago, I bought a set of fleece sweat pants from a vendor at a sportsman's show. They were $10, as I recall. I got my sister to sew an elasic strap stirrup at the bottoms of the legs.

They are as warm as my purpose made fleece wader pants, but the elastic opening at the ankles is a little bulky in wading boots. If you could find some with a knit cuff at the bottom, you'd be in good shape...

HA,

That is the kind I was looking at, and being of a large statue(I'm a fat ***!) I was unsure of the fit if I ordered them. Thanks for the info.

JH

I wear either fleece pajama pants or a full body fleece liner.

The liner fits better under waders, and the stirrups are a huge plus. The pants are baggier, and bunch up. If I added my own stirrups that would help, but I am far too lazy.

I snagged my fleece body suit for like $20 on sale somewhere. Keep your eyes peeled. I think it's a hodgman.

If you do go that route, keep in mind that it doesn't have a pee zipper like the nicer ones do. Before I cut the hole in them, I had to strip to bare chested to take a leak. Not fun in single digit cold.

I wear a pair of fleece pants I found at a goodwill store for 5 bucks. I just tuck them in my socks before putting waders on.

bikerfish wrote:
I just tuck them in my socks before putting waders on.

+1 on the sock tuck. Just wear fairly high socks. Keeps them from bunching up if you don't have pants with the stirrups. Do the same thing with my hippers too.

Under Armour ! ;-)

slammer,

Was also thinking about the Under Armour. One of the perks of working part time @ one of the "Big Box Stores" are the 50% off coupons we receive. Under Armour is one of those coupons. More to consider then.

JH

I only recently got the purpose designed wader pants. They are nice but nice fleece swaetpants are fine too. I used to keep a roll of electric tape in my wader shoes. Then when I put on my "regular" pants I just do a wrap or two of tape around my ankle to avoid them bunching up my leg.

without a doubt under armour (or similar product) is the best option
that plus some good socks and you will be fine in any water temp

I have found socks to be a key also. A good set of Merino wool socks with the pro liners underneath have done the trick for me.

JH

I have a pair of Patagucci fleece pants I got a few years ago. Two side pockets and a rear one. They have elastic ankles but still need to be tucked into socks to avoid bunching up when you pull your waders on. I wear a pair of Clumbia long johns I got when there used to be an outlet in Lancaster. Can't beat this combo for warmth IMO.

I have a pair of Redington fleece liner pants. They work very well. Have a zipper in the front along with 3 pockets, 2 in the front and one in the back. The stirrups work great and the pants don't bunch up at the bottom. I think they run about $40. This liner and a pair of smart wool socks are a good combo IMO.

I bought a pair of fleece pants for under waders from Hyde for $20. After 3 seasons, they are still going strong.
http://hydeoutdoors.com/onlineflyshop/index.php?route=product/product&path=58_60&product_id=191

Back