Flashback Nymphs Vs No Flashback

Ryno17

Ryno17

Hey folks, just wanted to get your thoughts on fishing flashbacks vs a more natural nymph. Do any of you swear by them opposed to never fishing them ? Is there a situation where one is preferred over the other ? Do you think they attract more fish or spook them ? If you fish both, do you find yourself fishing one more than the other. I'd like to hear any thoughts and views. Just curious… Thanks !

I usually omit both, and tie "in the round" as its called, haha. I favor a proper silhouette, ribbing, and dubbing that has color variation. Some of my ties may not be as pretty as they used to be, but since they take less time to tie, I can be more daring with my casts.

I tie and fish both and can't say I thought one out fished the other. In any case,I wouldn't think they'd spook fish.
Coughlin

muddy/cloudy, fast or deep water - flashback.

shallow, clear or slow/flat water - no flashback.

my basic mantra - is am i fishing imitative or attractor ?

Last year at the Lancaster fly show, watched a presentation by John Miller of the WBA. He had underwater footage of several hatches. His position was that the nymphs were dull in coloration and didn't agree with adding flash to the patterns tied. Found it pretty interesting and accurate. With that said, I have and probably will continue to fish both versions. Can't say that one out produced the other. I have found that rainbows (aka crackheads with ADD) almost always gravitate toward the patterns with flash in them.

With stockers, some flash works. With wild fish, no flash since they are used to eating natural nymphs. Thats just my opinion though. I have a friend who is a guide and his most productive pheasant tail has a silver rib and a silver bead, with a hareline ice dub which has a little flash. Even up on the delaware you can still catch fish on flashy pheasant tails. Honestly, it probably depends on whats hatching, and what they are eating. I use most nymphs with no flash and seem to do fine.-Kev

My personal preference has always been to fish natural buggy nymphs without flash. However, two patterns that I love to fish and have produced great under various conditions have been the flashback soft hackle pheasant tail and a black flashback zebra midge. Both of these patterns I tie with a single strand of either pearl or green flashabou over the back under the rib. I just can't argue with the results of these two patterns for me over the years.

I catch over 75% of my fish on flashback PTs. And they are mostly wild.

I will say that on more pressured streams i.e. Spring or fishing creek I stick with plain patterns but less pressured fish I think the flashback increases strikes.

One of the nicest Browns I caught this year was on a size#18 flashback pheasant tail. It was definitely a wild fish and was taken in mid summer in a deeper pool with very clear water. I rarely fish nymphs but have done well on several very flashy versions. Some of the emerger patterns also utilize flashy materials and beads. Maybe the thinking is the flash represents some kind of gas bubble. Metallic or irridescent flash has been more productive than "hot spot" versions for me. The regular old Hares Ear Nymph tied rough and buggy with gold tinsel ribbing has probably been my most productive nymph overall.

I fish both and take fish on both.

foxtrapper1972 wrote:
The regular old Hares Ear Nymph tied rough and buggy with gold tinsel ribbing has probably been my most productive nymph overall.

This.

geebee wrote:
muddy/cloudy, fast or deep water - flashback.

shallow, clear or slow/flat water - no flashback.

my basic mantra - is am i fishing imitative or attractor ?

This is what I do also. Not sure if it makes any difference, but I often feel like it helps. I feel this way about brightly colored nymphs also. Chartreuse caddis larva or green weenie in stained or fast water, muted olive colors in clear water.

Depends on the mood of the fish. Sometimes yes and other times no. I'd carry both. Ultra pressured fish like big spring, I doubt any flash would be tolerated. Maybe smaller fish. Spring creek fish like both.

Back