Flash body midge--thoughts, feelings, opinions?

Wildfish

Wildfish

Trying to add a little flash to the regular emerger midge. This is just flash under smokey larva lace with an ostrich collar, sz 20. As you can see, the taper is no good, and there's a little extra larva lace by the vise that I can't clip (it's tiny in real life, this is a macro shot). How would you improve it?

Attachments

• midge.JPG
    midge.JPG
    46.3 KB · Views: 7
I would try it before I tried to improve it. It loks like it would work to me. I tied some the other day with a gold beadhead, crystal Flash body, reverse wraped fine silver wire, peacock colar. I havent tried it yet but it's pretty mutch the same idea.

That looks pretty nice to me, and certainly is worth tryingIMO. Of course, if I were tying it, I would put in a post and parachute hackle on top

dryfly,
This would work with a parachute, but for whatever reason I'm tying them with parasols. I think grizzly hackle works better for film midges--no idea why, just my experience. Seems the grizzly looks more like moving legs on the surface, the ostrich looks better under the film.

Wildfish........not improvement needed looks like it will work to me , one thing you mention is the buildup of swannundaze near the vise. To keep that from happening (i don't think this affects the performance of the fly , just the looks) trim the end of your swannundaze at an angle to a fine point and tie in at the tip of the point enough to hold it and then wrap , practice will add to the neatness but once again i don't think it matters THAT fly is just fine and WILL work but i also understand you want it to look as good as possible. the end of the swannundaze should look like this......>.........sort of.

Look up a pattern called the disco midge. Mighty effective too.

I been tieing some bow tie buzzers..bit of flash to them.

i like that fly..it will catch fish for sure..to improve might just be simple as fishing it and finding were and sits in the water and adjusting materials to get it were you want it to fish. Might be perfect already.

I agree with Osprey it helps to clip a point on the material to get a better wrap.

Here is a link for the bow tie buzzer http://www.cutthroatctu.org/Raffle_Flies/mini-bow-tie-buzzer/

Mine look at bit different then this though..there are a few different ways i guess..i tie mine with a cross of antron or eb fibers to sit it up in the film (i hope)..Rick Takahashi talks about flash on this midge..i like his version in his book i have..looks different then this one above he does.

I've been wrapping shiny mylar around hooks for awhile, usually a thorax of dubbing of some nature, and then the end of the mylar in a loop, then cut in half, for a wing. Clear glass bead optional.

FIsh as first dropper, thrill to takes when your drift ends and it lifts.

Ain't got no larva lace.

I tie a lot with tubing and to achieve (the appearance of taper) there are 2 things you can do....
1. Make the segments larger as you go,
2. Tie the segments individually. This takes a ton of time, but has its benefits like: not allowing the tubing to twist, more realistic fly and segemnts spacing.

As far as the extra material at teh bottom there are 2 things I do as well...
1. Tie from head to butt and finish the fly down there. (which is hard to whip finish)
2. Cut the tubing ona tapper to give a winding up point.

Back