Flagstaff, AZ

T

Troy

Hi All,
My Sister moved to AZ a little while ago and I am going to visit in July. Has anyone ever fished in AZ. I have done some research, but it doesn't seem to have many popular "blue ribbon" trout streams. I am going to buy Charles Meck's book, but I figured I would ask here too. An area to target would be great. I'm willing to drive. Thanks for any feedback.

Troy

Lee's Ferry......have a nephew living in Flagstaff and every time I visit make a point of driving up to the Ferry. It is a couple of hours drive time to get there, but well worth it. Be ready to use small stuff. Scuds, Zebra midges......size 20 is big! Some San Juan worms also work. Plenty of rainbows and some size as well.

You can go to a walk in area, but can get crowded on weekends or you can rent a boat or guide to do some exploration. Expect 100+ degrees in July.....but it's a dry heat :)

Here is a post from a couple of years ago about a day at Lee's Ferry.

I also fished Oak Creek which is between Flagstaff and Sedona. The section we fished was "Halfway" to "Banjo Bill". The slide from the picnic area to the creek did not go well (maybe take a rope). We caught wild browns.

Thanks guys! I knew about Lee's Ferry, but thought it was a little tough for waders to fish. I also know the White Mountains have a bunch of mountain streams that hold native Apache Trout. I will keep doing more research and also buy the book I mentioned. I won't have all week to fish, but will get a few days. My Sister is a prosecutor for the Navajo Nation. Selfishly, I told her not to bother taking the whole week off so I can fish some days. She does not fish.

Check out http://sedonaflyfishingadventures.com/

Brian who runs the show is actually from just outside of Pittsburgh. Great guy. If you get in touch with him tell him Ryan sent you.

DGC wrote:
This is too cheap to NOT get if you are serious about trout in AZ:

Amazon Arizona Trout by Rex Johnson

Dumb question, but did you use this book? I don't want to get it just because it is cheap. I want a book that is informative. Thanks!

ryguyfi wrote:
Check out http://sedonaflyfishingadventures.com/

Brian who runs the show is actually from just outside of Pittsburgh. Great guy. If you get in touch with him tell him Ryan sent you.

Thanks! I will check it out.

Back