Fixing Site Issues

DaveKile

DaveKile

Administrator
Staff member
Folks,

I have three major site issues I am looking at getting fixed up.

1. Polls
2. Forums - sorting bug with multi page posts
3. Search - at the bottom of forum pages

I am missing anything?

Yes, truncated typing window on long posts or long PMs. Cursor becomes lodged below the viewable area and you have to guess where it is in entering text. Just a problem for the long-winded or the quoter of long-winded materials.

That sounds like an issue with your browser, Jack. I'm not exactly sure if I grok your issue here, but if it's with the text box implementation is not specific to this site, thus a browser rendering issue.

JackM wrote:
Yes, truncated typing window on long posts or long PMs. Cursor becomes lodged below the viewable area and you have to guess where it is in entering text. Just a problem for the long-winded or the quoter of long-winded materials.

I have the same problem.....
I'm usually on an ancient computer with tired old IE as my browser.

Also, might it be possible to return the old copy-paste mode for placing links in threads to other threads on the site?
This method still works for links to other websites and used to be possible for links to other Paff threads. Since the server upgrade, this capability has been lost and I've had little luck using the link icon on the reply box.
I'm sure I'm not the only dunce struggling with linking to older threads here on Paff.

There is a limited window area set up for posts, but that one may be out of reach for me to get change.

Not sure if you know this. When I use Chrome and making a long window post I can resize the post window with a little resize handle in the lower right corner?

Fishidiot wrote:
Also, might it be possible to return the old copy-paste mode for placing links in threads to other threads on the site?
This method still works for links to other websites and used to be possible for links to other Paff threads. Since the server upgrade, this capability has been lost and I've had little luck using the link icon on the reply box.
I'm sure I'm not the only dunce struggling with linking to older threads here on Paff.

The problem originally appeared to be with the tagging option that was a part of this. You could "tag" each post with key words, and you had the option to choose from several different delimiters, of which one of the options was a comma.

Since the new forumsoft uses commas in each thread's URL, this breaks linking because the forum seems to parse it as a tag, not as a part of the URL.

I know the tag delimiter option disappeared awhile ago, but this issue appears to live on. Admittedly, its one of those stupid little quirks that seems like nothing, but does cause more than a few headaches. In the full editor, its easy to skip with the LINK editor option, but easy to forget because it appears to be an issue I only experience with PAFF, and not other forums.

That said, since the last major bug fix, I can't think of other outstanding issues.

Honestly, I never noticed a search issue, but searching has always been a bit wonky. Sorry!
[size=xx-small]
(Safari users, and probably Firefox too, get the neat, but ultimately pointless option to expland the text window.. I remember when I first discovered it, I couldn't rationalize a use, but I still liked doing it.. I just expanded this window because JackM couldn't)[/size]

Well, I may try an alternate browser, but as a microsoft bot, I know my place in the world.

So next on my agenda, Dave, would be "emotisounds." Just a handful, like a rimshot, applause, booing, snickering, sustained laughter and, perhaps crying. And fanfare or pomp.

JackM wrote:
Well, I may try an alternate browser, but as a microsoft bot, I know my place in the world.

So next on my agenda, Dave, would be "emotisounds." Just a handful, like a rimshot, applause, booing, snickering, sustained laughter and, perhaps crying. And fanfare or pomp.

http://sadtrombone.com/

http://instantrimshot.com/

I am sure there are many more.

I cannot replicate the text box issue. Sent Jay a long PM and had no trouble there. Maybe MS updates cleared things up as I haven't experienced the problem in a while and now cannot replicate.

Getting closer on getting these issues resolved. Handed over the list to my developer and hope to see some progress over the next week.

Thanks

I think we now have the multi page forums working when you click on a page number it takes you to the page you expect.

Started working on polls and halfway finished. Thought the search was working but not yet down.

Back to the mines.

the hard work is apprechiated by the users, and lamented by our bosses. thanks.

g

Back