Fishpond Lodgepole Satchel and Lodgepole Guide LTE Satchel????

PennKev

PennKev

I'm looking at these and was wondering if anyone had any experience using either the regular Lodgepole satchel or the Guide LTE version. I currently have an older Orvis sling pack that I'm looking to replace. The Orvis pack is a little too small, more specifically the outer compartments are a little too small. The bigger more "open" style of the satchel seems appealing. My greatest concern is how they are carried. The sling pack is pretty out of the way. I'm concerned that the satchel may rest too much on my side. Could be awkward or uncomfortable when loaded with gear.

Opinions?

Thanks,

Kev

I've have one, (Standard Lodgepole), and really like it. In addition to the fastener to close it, the flip cover has two rare earth magnets that mate to the bag body. They work and stay closed for keeps yet open very easily. The inside has five inside pockets that hold segregated C&F boxes. There is also a large zippered compartment inside where I store my keys, phone and extra "stuff". It's quite large. Then of course there is the large main compartment in the bag. I use two types of floatant and keep both in the large main compartment, loose. I reach in and can tell by feel, which is which. I also keep tippets, leaders shot and it isn't even close to crowded. The rear has another large zippered compartment where I keep a first aid kit, camera and rain gear. On the side is also a small pouch for smaller things and places for D-rings. I keep hemos, nippers and a drying patch hung on a D-ring outside the bag. There is room for a total of six D-rings. The only thing I haven't dialed in yet is net storage.

Regarding your concerns about resting on your side, it does. Mine rests just above and on my thigh with no fatigue or discomfort. It definitely does not get in the way.

If all this sounds like a lot, it is. It may not be for you but until you have the opportunity to look at one in person, I would not rule it out. I b ought it originally for summer days. That was two years ago and I have yet to wear my vest since I got it, summer or winter. Good Luck and let me know how you make out.

Thanks for the detailed info!

Does it hang too low for deep wading? My other option I'm considering is the Orvis guide sling pack which is also huge but can be worn higher on the back. However, I don't necessarily like rotating the pack all the way around my body when I need to dig through it. That's one reason why i want to replace my current sling.

Thanks,

Kev

Yes it does but I think you may have that problem with any style satchel. I’m older now and “try” to limit my wading to no deeper than my lower thigh. It can certainly be adjusted to sit higher but I would be concerned it may interfere or crowd your left, (non-casting), arm. It’s expensive, at least for me, so I would try to check one out personally rather than buy over the net. Somerset is coming up if that helps. I understand the hassle about the sling pack. I have a camera pack like this and though it seemed like a great idea at the time…………….

Correction.... I just checked it out and it sits well up on my hip. Still not ideal for wet wading.

index4-L.jpg

Back