Fishing with stealth

dc410

dc410

I stopped at a skinny little Class A stream yesterday on the way home from work. I literally had less than an hour to fish. The water levels were fairly low and very clear with bright sunshine and 62 degrees. What a beautiful day, but not necessarily the best for fooling the skittish wild brown trout.

I strung up my 9' 5 wt and threw on my shoulder pack and headed for the stream. I didn't take any time to put on any kind of waterproof footwear, just my work clothes, Carhardt pants and Redwing boots. I was forced to pick which side of the stream I would fish. That decision was easy, as I picked the side that was less likely for my shadow to be cast onto the surface of the stream. I was tight line nymphing with a 15' leader and my fly line was rarely out past the tip of my rod. I cautiously picked my way along the stream as I scoped out the good holding spots and deeper runs. I never stepped foot into the water which I think is a huge benefit to minimize spooking fish. I constantly used streamside vegetation to shield my approach to a casting (I should say lobbing) position. I fished in and around many falldowns in the water but always made sure to never touch or step on any portion of the deadfall that was on the bank.

I fished for about 45 minutes and only brought two wild brownies to hand but I lost or missed 4-5 others. A fairly productive 45 minutes under some very challenging conditions fishing for wild brownies. I have to attribute my total focus on stealth on this outing as being the one most important factor in giving me an edge.

Taking time to slow down, watching every step, staying low and sneaking into position and staying out of the water are all very important factors that will almost always equate to more hook ups. Tight lines!

Saw your post on the instagrams. Thanks for sharing!

Great advice!! Need to remember this every time I get to the stream!

Thanks for that. I need that reminder!

Good advice. I'm getting so old that once I kneel down to sneak up on a fish, I sometimes have trouble getting back up with my arthritic old knees and bad elbow.

Young guys: Enjoy being young while you are!

Back