Fishing trip

F

Flyfishing42

I live in Southwest Pa in Allegheny county I'm planning on taking some time to fish and I'm brand spanking new to the sport. If anyone had 3 days in spring to fish anywhere within any part of Western Pa within 2-4 hours away what would be 2 or 3 good rivers to fish. Maybe a little minnie fly highway if you will.

Hi Flyfishing42 - welcome to our online community.

2-4 hourse puts you well into central PA. If you're mainly interested in trout fishing (April is prime time for trout fishing), I'd spend those three days in center state. There are many streams in the area, many well known such as Spring Creek or the Little Juniata. However, these streams, although popular, can be tough for beginners. I'd suggest focusing on some streams that are stocked with trout, such as Bald Eagle Creek. The northcentral PA counties such as Potter, Tioga, or Lycoming are very good in April too, although this might be stretching four hours, but probably not by much.

If you hit the "Where to Fly Fish" link on the upper right side of this page, you can search trout streams by county and region.

Good luck with your trip plans!

Thank You. Hopefully the fly 101 classes Im going to take and lots of practice will help. Being a rod and reel guy for 35 years I hope will help some too. I' m looking forward to all the fun and challenging times fly fishing will bring.

Are you taking the orvis flyfishing 101 class?

What type of spin fishing did you do? Bait, spinners?

To start, you have lots of early season stocking opportunities in the Allegheny county that get plenty of fish. I grew up in Allegheny county and did well bait fishing Pine Creek, Montour Run, and Big Sewickley Creek.

There are others that get stocked as well. Here is the stocking schedule. http://fbweb.pa.gov/stocking/TroutStockingDetails_GIS.aspx

It looks like portions of Deer Creek, Deer Lake, North Park Lake, and Pine Creek received a fall trout stocking.

If it were me I would get out and try some fishing now if you have the gear.

My family has a camp up in Forest county and I can provide information about a few of the streams up there. I to am a recent convert from the spinning world and have really become addicted to fly fishing.

Also check on some youtube video's there is some great information about casting and proper fly presentation based on the style of fly you are fishing. There are variations on how you cant a weighted nymph indicator rig, a weighted streamer, and a dry fly.

Welcome. Good to see another local on the forum. The previous post pretty much sums it up.

If I had a long weekend, theres a TON of placed Id venture in western PA. First off, are you fishing for stocked or wild fish?

The Laurel Highlands offer a TON of fishing options close to home. Head towards State College if for a long weekend. Same goes for the PA Wilds region as well. Tons of options

Would you ever care to take a green horn along sometime being that your in my local? Id pay for gas expenses etc. Im not deranged or psychotic most days so no worries ha, in that category.If your able to P-M me let me know if your up for it sometime.

Back