Fishing The State College Area

J

johnthegreat

I am from Canada and am going to the state college area sometime in the end of july first of august, hows the fishing, any suggestions of patterns and sizes?
Thanks so much
John

Well, you gotta try Penns Creek Check out the . Feathered Hook in Coburn and for Sprink Creek in State College The Fly fishers Paradise Fly Shop.

Penns may be a little dicey in late July. But I would check with Jonas at the Feathered Hook and see whats happening. It could be good in the upper end above Poe Paddy to Coburn

But Spring will be good. Think terrestrials on top (black and cinnamon ants, Crowe beetles, Hoppers, etc) Also sow bugs are a year round staple there.

Good luck and check back closer to the date for current conditions.

Maurice

Mo,
we gotta be warry with the international competition this year and all. This guy may be looking for some hot info :lol:

State College is killer though that time of year is rough due to the temperature. Early morning trico's will be the way to go. trico's are small (in the 20's) I'll second the sow bug for spring creek.

Thanks for the info!

I'd like to reiterate. The temps on Penns will most likely prohibit one from fishing there in late July. Check the Feathered Hook web site for more information. BUT, there's always Spring Creek! It should have good temps. Anyplace down from Fisherman's Paradise will be good. It's catch and release but there are lots of fish that love the Tricos. The only problem is you have to get up early to meet the Trics. :)

Back