Fishing Report - Came to Philly on Business, where to fish/guide recs

tk863

tk863

Sorry this is late in posting, but work has been insane.

First, let me thank all of you who gave me feedback either thorugh the site or via PM. Everyone was very helpful and informative, and I really appreciate the hospitality and offer to reciprocate if anyone finds themselves coming to the Los Angeles area.

Had a great time on the water. A brief update of my events are as follows:

Received some guide recommendations and booked a guide for Saturday. Unfortunately, he had an unforeseen event come up and kindly arranged for a colleague to guide me. Hit the water at early morning (forgot the name of the stream now, but it was right along a two-lane highway) and got into a lot of nice wild trout. Lot's of fun. Only downside to the morning was some guy who started fishing right on top of us despite the entire waterway being wide open. We decided life was too short and switched to another point on the same water at that time. Zilch there so we decided to switch to the Penns at that point.

Penns was low and slooowwww..... The guide was surprised at how low the water level was, but we hit some holes and had some decent luck. Then the winds really picked up and the rain came, and the topwater action went into overdrive. Don't get the opportunity to fish in the rain in SoCali, so had tons of fun in the downpour, lots of target casting and dryfly action, and more than a dozen to hand in about 90 minutes. Went back to my hotel about 5PM and tried to dry everything out by the next morning, and caught a movie in State College.

Next day I had a friend who knew a friend and I was able to get onto Spruce Creek. Wow. Started off at 10AM, and had over 40 in hand by 2:30, at which point I stopped counting. Had not fished in a limestone creek feed before, but what an experience to do so. I consider myself truly blessed to have enjoyed the water, and seen more than 5 bald eagles that day.

Thanks, paflyfish for some great information, and tihgt lines to you all.

That's awesome. Glad you enjoyed the area and it sounds like you saw some fine fishing. PA is very under rated as a trout fishing destination imo.

Back