Fishing Ponds and Lakes

S

steve98

Going to Maine in Spring of 2017.
Never fished ponds or lakes with the fly rod.
Do I need a full sinking line?
Or just a sinking tip line?

Ty
Steve98

Depends a lot on the lake or pond and how you plain to fish it.

I have been spending a lot of time recently fishing the smaller pond at the local sportsmans club using floating line and chucking streamers. It has worked well but I think the max depth of the pond is 5'-8'

nomad_archer wrote:
Depends a lot on the lake or pond and how you plain to fish it.

I have been spending a lot of time recently fishing the smaller pond at the local sportsmans club using floating line and chucking streamers. It has worked well but I think the max depth of the pond is 5'-8'

Agree^

If it's springtime, you will likely be fishing closer to shore and bass, trout, and landlocked salmon will likely be in shallower water where a floating line would be ideal. If it's late spring and temps are warmer, you might need a sinking line to target trout.

I fish Western Maine a lot, including lakes & ponds for trout, salmon & smallmouth. The majority of stillwater fishing in Maine can be done with a floating line, especially in the Spring. If there are hatches on, the trout (& salmon) will be surface feeding in both the shallow ponds & some of the deeper lakes. They also move into the shallows to chase baitfish and the classic Maine streamer patterns (Black Ghost, etc) on a floating line work great.

I sometimes use an intermediate or sink tip for smallies if they aren't feeding on the surface.

Do you know what waters you'll be fishing?

From my experience fishing in New England, I agree that a floating line will get the job done in the spring more often than not.

Having a few different poly leaders will allow for any flexibility that you might need.

Back