Fishing Poconos

lonekimono

lonekimono

Sorry I know this topic has been brought up. With a lot of mixed reviews. I will be able to get out either Thursday or Friday and I am looking for a nice place to take my 2 boys fly fishing in the Pocono area? I'm not afraid to hike a little ways to catch some fish. But I rather not have my kids wading in dangerous water. I am not to familiar with the area either. I was looking at Tobyhanna creek. But I am not sure if there is a better spot that we would be more likely to hook up with some fish. Maybe some recommended fly patterns for that area? We would be happy with stocked or native trout. any suggestions would really be appreciated. Thanks

Elk hair caddis will always work and ants. When you turn onto 423 you go about 2 miles and there is a state forrest gate on your left acess for stocking trucks sooon as you go buy the gate on your right is a pparking lot park there go back to the gate and walk in you will see and hear the stream upstream for about a mile is all delayed harvest and safe for you to wade unless we get a lot of rain. enjoy

Tobyhanna Creek gets warm in the summer.

I always had good luck on the Tobyhanna with a copper body ,black tail, and black hackle soft hackle or wet fly
Tobyhanna is a tannic water

You can check the temps on the USGS site shown to the right but looks like it would be ok in the am but gets too warm pretty quickly in the current weather pattern. A thermometer should be part of your gear this time of year imo.

Thanks guys. Copper wire or dubbing for the body? thermometer sure is a part. Yes we will be there early. I hope my boys at least get some hook ups. it is always nice to see them catch fish.

I would skip the Toby and fish some of the mountain brookie streams. Toby flow is low and temp is high which = poor fishing IMO.

Personally, I've been fishing the Lehigh recently and fishing has been so/so. Hatches have been minimal. I'm leaving work early today once the rain starts. Likely fishing Lehigh or Brodhead.

I see what you have going on in the past statements. children and a child with a disability, as i remember. Take a time out and check out Tobyhanna State Park, fish the spillway, downstream and also fish the bridge at the headwaters.

Little late right now for trout.

Now get on your internet and find 7 mile rd. About 1/2 mile before Game commission office, is a place to park. Walk the road into game lands and behold a stream. Fish it! Do not try to fish all, like I did, down to lower bridge. You can't do it in peace. Too far, too mucky and too much.

I have been sneaking around this place, I like it but you better be aware, it is not easy.

I find it hard to believe, you can not find a stream close to Pittston. I have been tangled up in that area before but have found many State Parks and many holes. Maybe I did not catch a lot but I fished, had a sandwich, looked around and enjoyed myself.

I guess you just have to make a day of it, fishing the Poconos. Make it your day, a pleasure and not a nightmare. Pack up, cold drinks, small grill, some hot dogs, and a favorite fishing partner. Catch something, good, catch nothing, good. You
caught the will, the way, and the friendship of all Pa. has to offer. Is that not enough!

The outing of fishing is more about all being there. Bountiful in pleasure, a relaxed fit, Then the torment of no fish! Seems a hot dog, cold cola and a laugh is just the right "Bait".

Maxima12

Let us know how you did.

We didn't have any luck. Didn't catch any fish. But it was still nice just to get out. I guess it would have been better to go SGL for brooke's. next time we will have to go for brooke's.

Some tmes you need a bobber and spinning rod! It is always about choices. Fly fish when not a thing happens, Make it happen.

Maxima12

Back