Fishing Photography?

thebassman

thebassman

Hey Guys,

looking to get a new lens for my DSLR. I currently shoot a Canon T3i with a 18-50mm f/2.8-4.5. I am looking to add a new lens to the bunch and am kinda torn on which direction to go. I mainly shoot fly fishing videos, and fishing photography. I am wondering if I should go for an Ultra Wide Angle lens, or a more telephoto lens (70-200mm). If I go with a wide angle lens does anyone have any input on either the Sigma 8-16mm or the Tokina 11-16mm?

If I go with a telephoto what would be a good one to look into? Canon 70-200 f4? Or should I forget about both and get a macro for some detailed shots of fish and flies?

Choices Choices Choices.....

Thanks,
Steven

so you're mainly shooting video?

skip the telephoto... unless you plan on shooting everything from a tripod.

i rarely shoot video
but look at some primes

I have...
8mm f/3.5
35mm f/1.8
50mm f/1.4

The DOF and image sharpness is great

8- fun
35- on the water
50- fly shots

I mainly do video, but would like to get a lens or two that could fit the bill with both video and still photography.

I do plan on using a tripod, but not all the time.

i missread your original post... only have a 18-50 is pretty limiting

i think my zoom is out to 200...
make sure you get VR
you won't use it all the time, but will be thankful when you need it
70 is a bit long for your shortest option and i'd think it may be annoying
maybe look at and 18-135 or 18-200 is you're looking for an all around lens

there are lots of online rental sites that will ship you a lens to rent and allow you to get a good feel before dropping the $$$$.. get a few lens for a weekend and see what you like

Sorry for the delayed response, I haven't been on the site much lately.

I have a Canon 7D and had a Tokina 12-24 f4 lens. Loved it. It was plenty wide. Wide angle is the way to go when shooting hd video. I have some video on you tube, some of it is from my canon.

Unfortunately the Tokina fell into the hands of my ex. It is no longer in one piece.

I plan on replacing the lens possibly with an even wider one, say the canon 10-22 but I found at 12 mm it was very wide for an an APS- C format dslr.

I actually originally planned on getting the Tokina 11-16 and I've heard very good things about it, plus at f2.8 at that price point you can't go wrong.

A standard zoom would compliment the wide angle lens. But you have got to have a wide lens for video. It brings in more of the atmospehere. And it just looks cool for slow panning shots with a tripod.

I my self am not a fan of distorted wide angle shots... If I myself were to buy one I would go with the what ever canon has that's like the 13-24 2.8 great clean fast glass, no third party glass for this guy. Or a 70-200 2.8 n the bokah from a 2.8 is super addicting, so much you'll find hourself getting into people portrait photography... That's how it happened with me I wanted a fast tele so I bought a 80-200 2.8. Then I saw what I'd did to the background at 200mm...

Save your pennies and buy glass once, and replace your bodies as needed, though canon likes to switch up thier lens mounts... As where I can use Nikon lenses from the 50's lol.

Back