Fishing packs

B

boychick

I currently use a vest. I've been thinking about making the switch to a pack. Chest pack or hip pack? What features should I look for in a pack? Any recommendations for particular a pack?

Simple waist fanny off ebay for late spring and summer... wading jacket for all other applications,

llbean emerger II wading jackets are hard to beat price and durability wise. Just rip off that ugly fly drying patch and you're good to go.

I currently use a one compartment orvis fanny from the '90's for warm weather fishing. What more do you need than 2 spools of tippet, an extra leader, 2 boxes at most, and a pair of nail clippers. Sewing some dancing dead bears on this baby tonight.

I tried out my new William Joseph waist pack yesterday at erie. It was a welcome addition to my vest. No longer have to try to shove everything into the vest. Two pouches for water bottles too... that was nice.
I wear it backwards and it was kinda hard to turn around when I wanted to get something out of it. That's the only thing I have to complain about!

I wear it backwards and it was kinda hard to turn around when I wanted to get something out of it. That's the only thing I have to complain about!

That's how I wear mine and how most are designed to be worn. When I need something out of the back, I just slide it around to the side of my hip. Problem solved.

Bottle holders were a must for me, but other's YMMV. There's lots of good options out there though.

I own the Orvis slingpack. Its convienent, and its not as lame as a fanny pack. Its pretty much the right size to carry anything you'd need if you're not obsessed with carrying 20 variations of every possible insect in the eastern hemisphere.

It wears the weight well, and with the use of the waist belt, its almost not there. I tried my vest again this year after using the sling for a year, and it was unbearable.

On the other hand, I've simplified further, and found fishing more pleasurable with a box of flies in a pocket, and a necklace of goodies.

I love my Down's system.

A backpack and side pouch are a must though. BTW, they have a new backpack, for it, it's just not displayed on the Hillie's website.

The whole system can get expensive with extra trays, but it does have a lifetime warrenty and can hold a bunch of stuff, including thousands of flies.

Good info, I hadn't thought about water bottle pockets; I’m sure those are handy. Do any of you guys who use fishpond packs have a problem when you wade too deep and the bottom of the pack gets in the water? Does the inside of the pack get wet?

Unless you have one of the waterproof waist packs, you've got potential to take on water in your pack. Bean has a new one that's coming out, Simms makes some, Patagonia, and I'm sure there are others. Those ones are at the top of my memory. When I have had to cross streams wearing a waist pack and the water gets above where my pack would be, I just take it off and wear it like a sling back until I cross.

Hardy makes great shoulder bags. At first they seem like they would be too heavy on one strap and hang too low but i really have taken to them. They're so easy to take off that i often let it rest on the bank to go "naked".

Chapman makes great bags, gotta love the model:
http://www.chapmanbags.com/ChapmanBagsSite/category/Fishing/

I own the Orvis slingpack. Its convienent, and its not as lame as a fanny pack. Its pretty much the right size to carry anything you'd need if you're not obsessed with carrying 20 variations of every possible insect in the eastern hemisphere.

It wears the weight well, and with the use of the waist belt, its almost not there. I tried my vest again this year after using the sling for a year, and it was unbearable.

On the other hand, I've simplified further, and found fishing more pleasurable with a box of flies in a pocket, and a necklace of goodies.

Don't you mean lanyard?

KeithS wrote:
Don't you mean lanyard?

No, its a necklace. I'm secure enough in my awesomenisity to admit it.

FWIW, I'm greatly considering adding this to the mix:
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/BAG227-1.html

Where's Ed at with all these admissions from Gfen? Admits he likes a man purse better than a fanny pack and wears a necklace to boot? Sounds like someone likes to accessorize. :p :lol:

StudentofTheStream wrote:
Where's Ed at with all these admissions from Gfen? Admits he likes a man purse better than a fanny pack and wears a necklace to boot? Sounds like someone likes to accessorize. :p :lol:

When you look this good, you wanna flaunt it.

FWIW, I've routinely called it my "fishing purse," although my laptop bag is not a murse, its a satchel.

Don't knock the fishin' necklace til you've tried it. Its really that convienent.

Back