Fishing Old and New Places.

Bruno

Bruno

I have been very fortunate as my ability to work has not been impacted by the covid virus. In fact, it has given me the opportunity to fish quite a bit more. Several weeks ago I relocated to my camp in the Allegheny National Forest; I was able to establish an internet connection This has allowed me to fish in the evenings after work and explore new areas and revisit streams I have not fished in years. The thing I found to be the most enjoyable was the relative solitude. I have fished many evenings enjoying excellent hatches all by myself. I witnesses a march brown hatch recently on Tionesta Creek that would rival any hatch I have seen on our more famous trout streams in central pa. Green Drakes, March Browns, Grey fox , Sulphers , BWO’s I have found them all and rising fish in all of the streams with one or two exceptions. I am a silver lining kind of person and this year the situation we are all in made it possible to rediscover and discover new places to fish. I would normally be running to the J or Penns on the weekends . Now, I am rethinking that. Are they stocked fish ? Yes for the majority but does it really matter if they are taking dry flies. Lots of people tend to congregate on the more famous streams but I have found many no name and looked over water and the fishing has been excellent and maybe more enjoyable.

I am grateful for this opportunity and probably would have not done it if not for the situation we are all in. So maybe quit loving the J , Spring and Penns to death and try one of the bargain basement streams – you may find a deal ?

Your re-discovery of geographical locations is similar to my re-discovery of the joy of panfishing after 40 years of avoiding them. I do yearn for my country to get its priorities back though.

I like fishing the Allegheny National Forest. Partly because of what you said, not many fishermen after the early season rush. But also because it's just an interesting landscape. It's different than other parts of PA.

If I lived closer, I'd fish the ANF more. It's pretty far to do a day trip from where I live.

Nothing bargain basement about those creeks,imo. Check your PM. GG

Even though I rarely see good hatches in the ANF - like I see in the central and north central part of the state - I still really enjoy getting up there several times a year.

It's just so user friendly.
You can camp pretty much any where that you want.
With no need to get a permit.

And you have a shot at catching some really nice size fish in the Allegheny and Clarion rivers

June is also good month to re-visit local streams. All too often we yearn for the trip to the big name trout streams or wild regions that can be a long drive.

Try sticking closer to home.

Local streams, if they are STWs, often hold considerable numbers of stocked trout this time of year and fishing pressure has all but ended on them (to be sure, I'm seeing a lot more pressure this month on my local STWs this year).

Many of these creeks get too warm to hold trout over summer so I usually take my creel and keep some fish to eat this month. By the end of this month, many of these local trout streams and warm water creeks will be loaded with bass and sunnies kicking off the small, warm water summer game.

It may seem like a downgrade to fish for stocked trout, small bass and panfish... but I don't think so. These local streams let you get out for a couple hours in the mornings or evening without the long drive.

tb" I like fishing the Allegheny National Forest. Partly because of what you said, not many fishermen after the early season rush. But also because it's just an interesting landscape. It's different than other parts of PA."

dwight... interesting that you like the anf landscape. it is far from me, I have little experience there. how is the landscape different?

I like fishing under hemlocks for heavy shade, so cool steams, less brush... notice that the anf may have a lot of hemlocks, see map pg 9:

http://www.docs.dcnr.pa.gov/cs/groups/public/documents/document/dcnr_20030071.pdf

does that seem right?

Bruno,

It’s actually pretty exciting to hear you’ve been seeing fishable hatches on those streams. If I were god that is probably the only thing I would change about that area up there (have better dry fly action). Otherwise it’s great to have a camp there. Hunting for deer, bear, turkey, grouse are excellent. Snowshoe hare within 30 minutes. For trappers you have bobcat, Fox, coyotes, fisher, beaver. You have a few coveted wild trout streams in the whole state and others that are very good but only have Brook trout. I think I have like 8 stocked streams within 15 minutes drive of camp. Allegheny River is 10 min drive with walleye, Sm bass, Muskie and trout in the high 20 inch range if you learn where they hang out. Just something for everyone

I think the only day I ever caught a fish on a dry fly in Tionesta creek was 5-28-17 when I ran into a Brown Drake hatch. I’ve seen trout rising many times but usually no more than 5 so I rarely changed over to dries just to entertain a few trout.

That particular morning it started with spinners laying eggs about 9am then as that died down the Duns started to hatch. When that was winding down small BWOs started. I caught 16 that day but only took 6 on dries (partly because I was slow to transition to dries).

I feel like my camp is somewhere in the 1-5 mile range from yours. I’m in the vicinity of Townline Church on 666. It would be nice to call that home base for an extended period but it’s not in the cards for me. Maybe someday. Glad it worked out for you though. It’s a spring you won’t forget.

Prospector:

I am just off a Nebraska Bridge RD. So my guess is 10 miles to the church.

Hit me up sometime and maybe we can cast a line or go to cougar bobs

Back