Fishing License Sales in 2021

Dave_W

Dave_W

Staff member
What's up?

Are fishing license sales matching what they were at this time last year? Up or down?

We're only one month iin and it's winter. I'd be surprised if many of the pandemic bandwagoners purchased new licenses already. I think we'll see strong license sales once the weather improves, but not while the temps are hovering around freezing.

I would agree with PennKev. April will be very busy. One factor will be spring youth sports. If that starts opening up again that may curtail some amount of newbie fishing. Not the only factor or the primary, just some aspect.

I bought My PA license Monday, also Delaware, and Maryland.

I will get one as soon as I can get out and fish. Weather still not cooperating- I’d go out if it gets to the mid 40s with sunny conditions for a few days in a row.

I bought mine on January 2nd, I do believe. The trout have been hungry for streamers since that time, too.

I wonder how the multi year licenses are counted in yearly license sales? I bought a 10 year about 6 years ago. I wonder if it is counted as a yearly sale.

While I fully support the PFBC, losing money and lower license sales could end up being a blessing in many ways, I think.

I don't know that we'll see 2020 levels, but I'd have to suspect sales will be up. The same as sales of boats, kayaks, and other outdoor implements. I'm looking to pick up a kayak shortly, since they were few and far between in 2020. Higher fishing license sales is a mixed blessing for those of us who like serenity on a stream. With the unstable financial footing the PFBC is on, I'd say a few years of increased sales is a good thing though.

Back