fishing in cold

N

nOObmaster

Going to be 20 tomorrow morning. i am thinking of taking a day off and going fishing before this weekend's snow storm [current forecast is upto 10 inches of snow]. gear wise i think i am set, but fishing techniques in cold, is there anything particular i should do or don't? I will be mostly doing stream/creek fishing.

Don't go out too early and dress more warmly than you think you need to. If I am fishing near home I wouldn't go before noon, but I may go a little earlier if I have to travel far. Go low and slow. Little nymphs near the bottom and streamers or buggers dead drift or under a float. Cold fronts usually hurt fishing, but you should be able to catch a few. Strike on any bump; fish generally wouldn't hammer a fly in cold water. Later in the week rain on snow kills the fishing, so tomorrow may be the day. I have had great fishing in the snow - the problem is finding parking and driving home safely.

Good luck!

At 20 degrees, the technique is going to be cast once, clear your guides, repeat.
Exactly. Ice in the guides is not fun.

There are many days in the winter when the temps are milder.

Don't get much ice with a mono rig, just sayin' :p

JeffK and others gave good advice. I fish all year 'round, and you can catch in large NEPA freestoners post spawn, but I can say that a creek with some limestone or spring influence will be a better bet.

Go big or go small. If a fish is going to move even a couple inches on a cold day, it may do so for a meal that's worth its while. On the other hand, there is also a reason why people will tell you to throw midges, as that is matching the hatch. I prefer to offer a bigger meal to them if they will cooperate.

Slow and deep. And by slow, I also mean a slow falling big bug like a bushy hare's ear or something that has to move water to fall too. A big bushy soft hackle on a dropper tag will catch fish even if you are using a monster stonefly or something to get it to the bottom.

when i winter steelhead fish i spray my guides with pam. really helps keep the ice off. other then that, i like 100% ragg wool fingerless gloves. and a quality wool beanie. fish low and very slow.

If u have not already...learn to fish midges.
ChapStick your guides to help.
If u r going to fish winter w any frequency develop good habit of 2 step process for your line.
Step 1...Clean w Pad... ( see Photo)
Step 2 ...Apply Line Conditioner ( Loon, Rio, SA)
As I understand it, dirty lines tend to freeze easier.
Smart use of your time to fish the warmest time of day concentrating on
slowest / deepest water.
Don't be afraid to loose some flies getting to bottom third of water column.
Maybe consider tandem rig w Perdigon & midge.

Attachments

• PXL_20240105_005932849.jpg
    PXL_20240105_005932849.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 12
Save your day off for a better winter day. Days off are too few to waste on a guide freezing day of misery and slow fishing.

thanks all for the tips. layers, chapstick, midges, tandem, frozen guides, extra clothes. all check.

unfortunately, i worked my a$$ off last year and left 50% of my vacation unused. i am going to try real hard this year to spend all my vacation days.
Well that sucks. By all means head out. If your not catching something go heavier. Good luck!

Fish the warmest part of the day (generally 10-2 or so). Lots of good tips above. You just have to slow everything down and be deliberate with your drifts. As mentioned, a tightline rig will skirt the guide icing issue. Slinging fly line in below freezing temps is an exercise in frustration.

I love winter fishing, it's awesome, probably my favorite time. Throw in some snow and I can't wait. Here are some things that I've learned through the years.

1. Have a good layered clothing system and get two of each. Keep the second set in the vehicle. Layers are so important, you need to be able to adjust, I can get pretty hot even on the cold days.

2. If you fish alot in the winter get some boots that are a size too big so you can wear two warm socks. If your feet sweat get a thin polypropylene sock liner to wick the moisture away.

3. Have handwarmers, if your hands are really cold secure them to your wrist where the blood flows, this is a miracle for people with cold hands.

4. I fish junk flies and midges in the winter with the occasional dead drifted bugger. Find the slowest water that is seamed up with quicker currents, these are the magic winter spots.

5. Travel less but pick the areas that meet the above criteria hard. Don't be afraid to go back and fish it again with two new flies. I don't cover nearly the amount of water I would in the other seasons.

6. Make weight adjustments and don't be afraid to experiment. If I'm not catching fish I add weight, if the fly is moving too slow I can always lead it. A fly that is moving quick in the winter rarely catches fish.

7. This is a bonus, not always possible but find water that is slightly warmer, think tailwater or spring fed. The closer I am to that warmer water source the better. The difference between water that is 41 vs 39 is a hell of alot more than 2 degrees.

8. Get into a good rhythm if guides are freezing, cast, drift, swing and dunk so the water gets rid of the ice. Then repeat.

9. Last thing, don't be afraid to go early. Yes it's colder but I've had some fantastic times at first light in the winter.

good luck, post a report and have fun!

All of the above. Warm hat. Don't wear too many socks. Circulation is key. Keep core warm. Some fish small. I fish big. I think fish move more if it's worth the effort, most of the time. Just gish it slower. I think of it as getting a drunk to bite. No gloves. If you can't keep your hands warm by keeping your core and head warm. You should go warm up. JMO.

unfortunately, i worked my a$$ off last year and left 50% of my vacation unused. i am going to try real hard this year to spend all my vacation days.
Don’t hesitate to burn some vacation days early in the year. At the end of the year you’ll generally be really glad you did. 😉

Stretch your leader ( or mono rig) before you make first cast. Mono has more memory when it's cold.

thanks all for the tips. layers, chapstick, midges, tandem, frozen guides, extra clothes. all check.
Don’t forget a hand towel. Keeping your hands dry and the use of hand warmers cancel the need for gloves on most cold weather days. I always preferred a hand muff that duck hunters and NFL QB’s use over gloves but dry hands is a must since I never found fishing gloves that actually kept my hands warm.

Back