Fishing gloves and trout

Heberly

Heberly

This makes me smile, glad to see this happening!

http://wadingroom.com/the-science-of-gloves-and-fish/

I agree.

That's another reason to support Simms.

And that ladies and gents, is why

Simms > _______ (insert competitor here)

Interesting research and methodology. I didn't know that enough fisher people handle fish with gloves to make such research worthwhile. I handle fish professionally and only wear a single glove when handling striped bass. This specific glove is called a "fish handling glove" and is designed to prevent puncture wounds and slices. Obviously, such gloves are not needed to handle trout. Some of my colleagues who do use gloves to process fish use neoprene gloves and others use nitrile gloves. I have rarely used gloves for general fish processing and when I have they have been those slick rubberized gloves that you can find in a hardware store.

Mike wrote:
Interesting research and methodology. I didn't know that enough fisher people handle fish with gloves to make such research worthwhile. I handle fish professionally and only wear a single glove when handling striped bass. This specific glove is called a "fish handling glove" and is designed to prevent puncture wounds and slices. Obviously, such gloves are not needed to handle trout. Some of my colleagues who do use gloves to process fish use neoprene gloves and others use nitrile gloves. I have rarely used gloves for general fish processing and when I have they have been those slick rubberized gloves that you can find in a hardware store.

Mike,

I own a few different versions of Simms gloves for winter fishing, and I can tell you, especially the cotton fingerless version, is near impossible to get off of my hands, especially in the cold, toss in a fish flopping around, and sometimes it becomes necessary to handle the fish to get that quick release.

I wear glacier gloves for my winter fishing. Being made of neoprene I've often wondered how good or bad they were. I always figured they were pretty low damage to the fish.

lv2nymph wrote:
I wear glacier gloves for my winter fishing. Being made of neoprene I've often wondered how good or bad they were. I always figured they were pretty low damage to the fish.

I gave it quite a bit of thought this winter, as I found myself handling fish at times, then after I got home and saw the photos, felt a touch of anger at myself for being so careless. I didn't even realize it while on the water for some reason, I suppose its that rush and adrenaline flush while releasing the fish....

I saw a photo of George Daniel handling a large brown last week with the same gloves, made me feel a touch better, the fella is a seasoned angler who I respect.

It's only my opinion, but I would think the colder atmosphere in the winter months can only help with the handling.

Good for Simms, I would like to see the results when they are available.

I wonder what a study using the human hand would reveal-- both dry and wet.

I would guess a wet hand would be best because fabric would do more harm so the point of the study is, if you're using a glove, what's the best fabric.

I think you are correct, I was just curious whether the human hand, wet or dry is much better or just a little better; and the difference between wet and dry would be interesting.

Back