Fishing for specific species?

S

Selfinflictedfunk

So as we all know this has been a stellar year for trout. But the weather had to warm up at some point and now that it has, the trout need a break.

So my question is how do you target different species? Especially when fishing where trout are present and possibly feeding?

Do you fish at different times of the day?

Do you fish different runs? Flats VS ripples?

Ponds VS streams?

Except for poppers are the flies all that different?

Just stuff like that....I thought it would be nice to here from some of the more experienced guys that had any info to help some new guys.

Thanks

There's not that much difference, but there are things you can do, especially with stockers:

Stockers:

Rainbows love egg patterns and will tend to be in the faster water. Browns love baitfish, fish streamers and buggers, and they like the slower water. Brookies will eat anything, but things like san juans are deadly.

Wild fish: This is tougher, as the fish take on the feeding lies and habits that the stream offers. For instance, rainbows still like eggs, but browns will take eggs readily at times when there's spawning fish. There will be a fish in all of the good lies, so thats less predictable, but the best browns will still be in slower water and the best rainbows in faster water. In infertile streams, all the trout will take attractors better, where in fertile streams you need a more exact imitation, but brookies are still the generalists and less focused on a specific bug. In streams that hold browns as well as brookies, the browns are more dominant and will take over the better holes completely, and they're harder to catch. I've had many times where I couldn't buy a hit in the best looking spots, because there's a big brown there, but I cleaned up on brookies in the poorer water. You start skipping the better water to clean up on brookies and not spook the browns, and then hit it later, near dusk.

As for time of day, morning and evening are better for all of them, but I've found this to be especially true with browns, and least true with brookies. In fact, on some of the forested wild brookie streams, fishin seems to suck in the early morning and pick up mid-morning. In those same streams, the brown trout will hit better in the morning and at dusk, and the biggest browns are only catchable at night.

Selfinflictedfunk wrote:
So as we all know this has been a stellar year for trout. But the weather had to warm up at some point and now that it has, the trout need a break.

So my question is how do you target different species? Especially when fishing where trout are present and possibly feeding?

Thanks

I think the question posed is how do you target warmwater fish vs. trout in the same water?.......fish warmwater lakes, rivers or streams. Since you're from western PA ("the Beaver") I believe, it won't be hard finding warmwater fishing out there, in fact you really have to look hard to find trout out there in August. SMB, LMB, panfish, etc. fishing is a lot of fun and usually easier than trout fishing.

Oh, and trout flies and tackle is good for panfish, while a 6wt+ outfit with larger flies is best for bass. Throw in some poppers and have plenty of wooly buggers and your good-to-go. Have fun....Good luck.

Thanks pcray1231

That is great info for trout.

I should have been more specific in my first post, but I wanted to know about fish other than trout. I wanted to get info on taking the pressure off of trout this time of year.

How do you target just bass or bluegill or something along those lines. I figured since different species inhabit the same waters there must be some way to target them and avoid trout until the temps drop.

afishinado wrote:
Selfinflictedfunk wrote:

Thanks

I think the question posed is how do you target warmwater fish vs. trout in the same water?.......fish warmwater lakes, rivers or streams. Since you're from western PA ("the Beaver") I believe, it won't be hard finding warmwater fishing out there, in fact you really have to look hard to find trout out there in August. SMB, LMB, panfish, etc. fishing is a lot of fun and usually easier than trout fishing.

Oh, and trout flies and tackle is good for panfish, while a 6wt+ outfit with larger flies is best for bass. Throw in some poppers and have plenty of wooly buggers and your good-to-go. Have fun....Good luck.

That's what I'm looking for....thanks. And your right trout are hard to come by in this area this time of year, but this year they are hanging in there pretty good but I don't want to add stress to them.

So from what I gather it's more of a seasonal timing situation. If it's cold trout will be present and feed...when it warms up they die off or sink in deep holes to keep cool but the bass and pan fish will still be active and hence your target. Easy enough. Just from reading posts and books it seemed some people were fishing in waters that hold all sorts of fish but are fishing for just a specific species. I guess when you think about it you can target whatever you'd like but that doesn't mean your going to catch it and nothing else.

Thanks

pcray1231 wrote:
As for time of day, morning and evening are better for all of them, but I've found this to be especially true with browns, and least true with brookies. In fact, on some of the forested wild brookie streams, fishin seems to suck in the early morning and pick up mid-morning. In those same streams, the brown trout will hit better in the morning and at dusk, and the biggest browns are only catchable at night.

I'm more of a mid-morning guy myself...LOL.

Selfinflictedfunk wrote:
I'm more of a mid-morning guy myself...LOL.

too bad there's no local brookie streams around us then.

I guess you need to get your lazy butt up earlier and come fish with me tomorrow to catch some trout!

I knew you were gonna say that! I'm gonna see if Aimee wants to get out for a while in the a.m. so I just maybe there....I can always sleep in on Sunday. I'll probably start where we did before and move up from there.

I have been thinking about SRC also but I'm just not sure where yet.....I haven't really done any bass fishing yet this year.

Back