Fishing Creek near Bloomsburg or Lamar

T

tom416

Thanks to all of you who have replied to my previous posts, I really appreciate it.
I still intend to head up state to fish at one or both of the streams over the holiday weekend.
I have been looking at the USGS site for stream flow and the one for Spring Creek which I use for Fishing Creek at Lamar is showing about 100 cfps over the historic range. The one for Fishing Creek at Bloomsburg is showing about the historic average.
Does anyone have a feel for if the streams are too high or low to fish?
I don't have a feel for either and I would appreciate some knowledge if anyone is willing to tell me.

Trying to gauge fishing creek at Lamar was just discussed on this site recently.
I've been comparing it to spring creek at the Milesburg gauge for years, and usually get a a pretty good idea where it's at.
A reading of 3 or lower at Milesburg is usually fine for both streams, - 3.5 means they're fishable, but running a little high.
4.0 or higher - forget it!
Current reading - 3.22.
Depending on how much rain that area gets tomorrow,- scattered showers forecast,- I'd say that Fishing Creek would be fine this weekend

Dear tom,

I can tell you that Fishing Creek in Columbia County is on the order of 2 to 3 times larger than Fishing Creek in the Narrows in Clinton County, especially when they are gauging it at Bloomsburg which is right near the mouth.

FC in Columbia County can be safely waded at 200 or 300 cfs, and anything around 100 is a pretty low flow even for the summer though it has gotten down to about 70 cfs this summer. At that flow you will find a lot of exposed streambed and long walks between fishable water.

The real problem is a quick heavy thunderstorm in Sullivan County can fill the FC in Columbia County with muddy cruddy water. You can easily find safe wadeable brown water even without a significant change in stream flow. If it is above 400 cfs this time of year it is probably trashed.

It takes a pile of rain to dirty up Fishing Creek in Clinton County, especially since much of the stream above Tylersville is underground for much of the summer.

Keep in mind that Penn State has a home game this wekend and that will lead to increased traffic before, during, and after the game if you head to Centre/Clinton County.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Tim Murphy :)

I don't think you would have any problem fishing either stream this weekend, water will probably be a little low, water temps no problem, fishing creek in Columbia Co. is a cold mother, coldest stream I ever fished.

JF, told me they tried to fish Milesburg last weekend and it was very muddy, guess because of the work on the dam, I don't think they even fished it.

Juts be aware of all the traffic in the area!

Go PSU! Lets hope you can beat this team :-D

PaulG

PaulG wrote:
I don't think you would have any problem fishing either stream this weekend, water will probably be a little low, water temps no problem, fishing creek in Columbia Co. is a cold mother, coldest stream I ever fished.
PaulG

Paul, I think thats the "other" fishing creek in Columbia County. You mean the one in Clinton....I think.

Maurice

After I wrote my post and had submit it, I realized I made a mistake on the stream....Sorry!

PaulG

Fishing Creek in Columbia County is my home water. Fished it since I was a kid. Great stream but very cold early season. Early season fishing is a challenge for sure due to cold water but what I found is that if the water starts to warm up a bit the fish will feed very aggressively. This time of year is real tough. Fishing Creek is crystal clear throughout much of the year and the trout are real spooky. Stay back away from the stream and use small stream tactics to fish this time of year. Terrestrials are the best during the summer. I have caught some real nice trout using hoppers, crickets and ants. You will also have to stay clear of posted areas.

Unfortunately Fishing Creek is getting posted up, mostly due to greed by yuppie fly fishing groups that charge big money to fish. I may be purchasing some land right along fishing creek so that it can stay open to fishing.

Ron

tom416:

We didn't get very much rain yesterday - spring creek is reading 3.18 at the Milesburg gauge today. With no rain forecast for the weekend, I'm sure it and fishing creek are in good shape, probably even on the low side.
If you do try fishing creek (lamar), let us know how the level is- just for comparison. this question has been brought up here before

Back