Fishing Creek, Benton, Columbia County

G

Golf2fish

Was thinking about driving to Benton area early tomorrow morning, saw the water levels were OK, but I don't know what the temps will be. Don't want to drive 2 hours only to find the water to be too warm. If I go are the March Browns still around. Thanks in advance for everyone who replies.

There are March Browns still coming off the water. Also the occasional size 14 slate drake, size 14 Cahill, and size 18 Cahill.

I fish mainly from Forks to Lightstreet and the ticket for me has been nymphing during the morning and sulfurs and cahills in the evening.

Water temps @ 11 am today were 65 in orangeville/lightstreet area

Water temps at my place in Benton have been hovering around 65 degrees. The fishing has been good but mayfly hatches have been a hit or miss at times this year. Caddis hatches have been good but not as strong in the past few weeks. Flows are good for this time of year.

Ron

Never made it to the stream last weekend, glad to hear the water temps are still good. I better get up there soon or I'm going to have to wait until the Fall.
Ron, I had the pleasure of meeting and speaking with you the first weekend of May (my only trip to FC this year) thanks for sharing some of your local knowledge. Is throwing big woolly buggers in the early morning under the trees still treating you with nice rewards.

Gold2fish -

Yes. Matter of fact I slayed them this morning on olive woolly buggers. Water goes up I start to fish streamers of all sorts. Water was high from a thunderstorm yesterday and they were really hitting hard this morning. Water temps are good and flows are really good. Hope it stays this way through July and August. Stop in if you get a chance.

Ron

Give it a couple days to calm down. Was over 3000 cfs yesterday afternoon.

I'll be in Unityville for the 4th of July. Is it worth a ride to Benton to wet a line? If it is could anyone you suggest some spots to try?
Thanks

Definitely, streams may be a bit high but temps should be good.

There are tons of access points and all will have fish. Some of my favorites sections are where West Creek comes in and the area at the end of Minnow Lane near Zaners Bridge.

As of right now flows are at 5000 cfs

I would suggest fishing upstream of hickory joes if you do and if the gauge is reading more than 4 foot (presently at 8foot)at chArmund bridge good luck crossing the creek at minnow lane

Keith wrote:
As of right now flows are at 5000 cfs

Yikes, when I replied I thought the flows were at 1200 and declining.

As Keith mentioned, it's completely blown out right now. In my experience, the stretch of Fishing Creek near Benton or Stillwater becomes manageable around 700 CFS.

Right now @ charmund bridge in orangeville the flows are at 5520. I'm 2 feet away from having to pull my camper out lol.

I am comfortable wading downstream around 1000 cfs.....it may be close to that by Saturday if no more rain but the skies are looking stormy as I type. If u wanna throw a crawler,a chartreuse rebel,rapala , or the biggest gold cp swing you can find in slack water you may surprise yourself though.

61 degrees at Kocher Park at 9pm this evening. Current still strong. If we do not get too much rain I feel it will be good on Sunday.

We had a good amount of rain last night and also into this afternoon. The water is very high here in Benton right now. This should be very good for July and August fishing.

Ron

Back