fishing bags ?

geebee

geebee

does anyone still use these ?

for years i've been reading the arguments for and against chest packs, rucksacks, vests, sling packs, day packs etc etc and it only occurred to me the other day, why don't I use my fishing bag ?

I have a lovely 'old' Hardy fishing bag that I use for Salmon fishing a week a year and then it sits in an attic in the UK for the rest of the year.

When i think it can just take some fly boxes and be slung behind me over one shoulder, or have some sandwiches and a rainjacket, or a bottle of wine for lunch and a book, i'm kicking myself for not thinking of it earlier.

this is the bag :

hardy-test-fishing-bag-161-p.jpg

the inside is waterproof and detachable for cleaning out.

:facepalm:

sometimes the old ways are still the best perhaps ?

cheers

Mark.

That's all I use and a lanyard...it works for me.

a sling bag is nothing more than a bike messenger bag; and bike messengers all started with canvas lineman's bags, anyways.

what's old is new with a fancy name, anyways.

i've been using a canvas bag for a couple years now; squared off is better if you're not interested in swinging it around to your back, anyways.

It is a very handsome bag.

To me it is difficult to beat the comfort of a vest or pack design which keeps the load spread evenly across both shoulders, does not flop around when you bend over, keeps weight tucked close to the natural center-of-gravity of your body.

I thought it was his wife's purse. It looks to clean to have been used if it is a fishing bag.

Used one for a while, 3 years or so, then it started to tax my shoulder a bit when I wanted to bring the DSLR along, and carrying a long handled net can be a bit of a hassle too. So I'm back to using a vest for the most part..

afishinado wrote:
is that your D-bag, G?....:-?

I'll be billing you for a new keyboard....after having just spit water all over it. That was funny sir! :pint:

afishinado wrote:
is that your D-bag, G?....:-?

There's not a bag big enough to handle my doucheness.

I'm not well heeled enough to carry a Chapman, I make due with Finland's finest, a Nokia, which costs you under $8 on ebay and comes in your choice of drab: olive or green!

I use a army navy amo carrier. It was 13 dollars, fits 2 fly boxes, some split shot, leaders, indicators. I made a tippet holder that clamps to the strap so my tippet is easily available.
A trick I learned recently when looking for fishing gear online is too not include the words fly fishing. If you want a chest pack, just look up chest pack, or tackle storage, or outdoor bag. Once you include the words fly fishing the price goes up by atleast 25 dollars.

I wouldn't want to do any deep wading with all of my stuff in that thing.
And I'm guessing that it would probably flop around a lot if you have a long walk to where you're gonna fish - like to a brookie stream

As someone else already mentioned, I still like the way a vest spreads things out

Does that type of bag have enough room for: raincoat, water bottle, food?

If you just fish close to your vehicle, they probably aren't necessities to carry. You can leave them in the car.

But we often walk 5 to 6 miles roundtrip and get 2 to 3 miles from the vehicle, in which case I think it's important to have that stuff with you.

yeah, deep wading can be an issue if you're into that sort of thing...but you can always shorten the strap to hike it up a notch if you're going in above your waist. Flopping around was never really an issue if you have it adjusted properly, mine usually rode right in the small of my back, like a lumber pack. My bag fit 2 flyboxes, tippet, shot, spare leaders and floatant in the two outer pockets. The main compartment had more than enough room for a light jacket, water and snacks and a smaller camera, head lamp, little bit of bugspray, etc. Third flybox would go in a shirt pocket, transer tippet and floatants to the other shirt pocket for easy access while fishing.

Like I said previously, my biggest issue was when I overloaded it with the DSLR and began using a longer handled net, then my shoulder would get a bit cranky on the long walk home. Now I'm back to a vest, mostly because of the ease of carrying the net. Unless I'm bringing along the big camera, then I'll use my camera specific day pack for the photo gear with a pocketed fishing shirt to keep the fishing stuff handy...now the bag is resigned to carrying my frisbees and reels tot he park for casting practice, or sometimes line it with a big ziploc if I'm gonna harvest some stockies...

I replaced my vest and vest/pack and I've been using a sling pack for 5 years or so.

My sling pack can carry everything I need for a day out on the stream: water bottle, snack, raincoat, 3 good sized fly boxes and all the doodads and tools we carry to FF.

The weight of all the stuff in my vest seemed to pull on my shoulders and give me a backache after a few hours, problem solved with my sling pack.

My sling pack stays behind me until I need it without all the stuff hanging in front of me to get fouled with my fly line. Also I have clear vision as to where I'm walking, a vest with stuff that juts out make it difficult to see your feet when your wading or hiking.

It's more comfortable than a vest and cooler in the summer. There's no sizing, so you can adjust the strap to fit over a light fishing shirt in the summer or a heavy coat in the winter.

I rigged up a hook in my kayak and my sling pack doubles as a boat bag so I don't have to change things over when kayak fishing.

I really like slings, but as always, ymmv.

troutbert wrote:
Does that type of bag have enough room for: raincoat, water bottle, food?

Yup. I carry a Kelly Kettle in mine. great on cold wet days to have fresh coffee on 'no open fires' properties when you are miles from the car. just a few twigs or pine cones and in two minutes you are golden.

I don't deep wade with it on - typically deep wading is done for short lengths of river, like the belly of a pool, and i'll fish through a couple of times if fish are showing, so it goes on the bank anyway.

and when youre deep wading, you need a warm up even with neoprenes and thermals on.

i'm kind of kicking myself here.

afishinado wrote:
I replaced my vest and vest/pack and I've been using a sling pack for 5 years or so.

My sling pack can carry everything I need for a day out on the stream: water bottle, snack, raincoat, 3 good sized fly boxes and all the doodads and tools we carry to FF.

The weight of all the stuff in my vest seemed to pull on my shoulders and give me a backache after a few hours, problem solved with my sling pack.

My sling pack stays behind me until I need it without all the stuff hanging in front of me to get fouled with my fly line. Also I have clear vision as to where I'm walking, a vest with stuff that juts out make it difficult to see your feet when your wading or hiking.

It's more comfortable than a vest and cooler in the summer. There's no sizing, so you can adjust the strap to fit over a light fishing shirt in the summer or a heavy coat in the winter.

I rigged up a hook in my kayak and my sling pack doubles as a boat bag so I don't have to change things over when kayak fishing.

I really like slings, but as always, ymmv.

Which Tweedy bag do you use Tom

I use that same Hardy bag occasionally... don't fall down in fast water with that around your neck. It will fill up with water and make it very difficult to get to your feet...as if you have a bag 0f bricks around your neck.

When I fish small creeks I use the bag. When I fish larger water I use chest packs or vests.

afishinado wrote:
Old style Gale Force sling pack.

Is this it Tom

http://www.backcountry.com/orvis-gale-force-sling-pack

Back