Fishing at State Parks

sdwlucas

sdwlucas

Can I fish streams that run through State Parks during this budget impasse?

These two comments are out of the Centre Daily Times and is why I asked this question.

"Question. If state parks are "closed" because the people who work in them are not there, who will enforce the rules? For example, who is going to stop me from taking my tent to a campsite at Black Moshannon or launching my boat on the lake? Are the state police going to patrol the parks and arrest anyone who happens to be using them? Who pays for the state police?"

"Yes in fact, the state police are out at Black Mo State Park chasing out people from fishing, hiking, etc. due to the potential dangers since there are no rangers on duty.

First, I never had a ranger stand over my shoulder while I hiked or fished to "protect" me. Secondly, What a ridiculous use of law enforcement officers! This puts them further away from where they will actually be needed!"

The fact that anyone even has to even consider such questions just shows how ridiculous this situation is. Why the legislature has to wait until the last minute to pass a budget is unacceptable. Hell, if they can stay up until 2am to vote themselves a raise, they can stay there until the budget passes. This should have been done long ago. Freaking overpaid, lazy fatcats. It should only last a few days so it won't kill me not to fish a state park until then. Thanks for giving me that opportunity to beatch at them....
:-D

Well, Tom, they had a majority in BOTH houses and a Governor who were in agreement on the pay raise. That is not the case here. It isn't a case of laziness at all, just the process of making law, and the budget is a crucial all-encompassing law, which has been likened to the making of sausage-- no one should be permitted to see other process take place. That said, www.pennlive.com has a message board that is very active over the budget crisis. If we aren't going to keep this thread out of politics and on the topic of whether the parks are open, then I fear it will be quickly dispatched.

This topic really bugs me because I have plans this weekend and next to camp at state parks. Neither of the places I plan to fish are state park waters so I'm ok there, but still the fact of the matter is we pay for these fishing opportunities and now we're not even allowed to use them. I personally would fish it and if a state trooper wants to find you then let him, there should be nothing illegal about fishing property that you can reach regardless of the park being open or not. This whole thing is complete BS!! :-x

Go and fish the parks. Does anyone honestly think that a state trooper is going to chase after some renegade fly fishermen? They have much better things to do with their time.

Check this link from the DCNR;
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/news/newsreleases/2007/0707-closure.htm
According to it you can fish the state parks lakes as long as you stay out of the state park. If you are using a boat if you can launch outside the park you can fish it.
At least thats the way I understand it.

Back