Fished during the rain

MKern

MKern

I decieded to go fishing even though it was pouring (at the time).
How ever in the move, I left my rain gear at the parents' house. When I got to the stream I found something strange. A majority of the fish were tucked in along the bank or in really strange places. Keep in mind this is a small class a brown trout stream that is about 10 feet across and very shallow. I only managed 2 fish but saw 15 or so scoot out of the shallows to avoid me.

I think the fish were expecting more rain and near flood conditions.

Maybe some of you can lend some insight...

Expecting a flood? Maybe hoping for one. I imagine they are starting to get worried about DBS (dry back syndrome)

My guess would be that sudden rains have conditioned fish to expect an infusion of food in the form of terrestrial "wash-ins." Every bait fisherman knows that worms work well in rising or cloudy water. I'm sure there are a lot of beetles, ants, caterpillars and other insects that can easily be intercepted along the shoreline during a heavy rain. It may also be a reaction to the fish's expectation of higher water and they may move to the bank where currents will be lower and they can preserve energy.

Mkern,
I know that often newly stocked fish will act that way. I've seen them in the darnest of places. And often right up against the shoreline. But since you did mention it was a Class A stream they wouldn't be stocking it. Perhaps, it being October, they're getting a bit goofy as they begin pro-creation prep?

rising fish always
schrec

Fishidiot-I was orginally thinking the energy thing, but the water was near normal summertime level after about 200 yards up the stream. So it's not like they would have gotten blown out. Good point about the terrestrial thing. I even though 3 times to try and ant or hopper, but the water was pratically unfishable to get an accurat cast and drift.

When water rises quickly you have a) a lot of bugs from the surface get washed in, and b) little fish and crayfish that live under rocks get tossed off and take a ride with the current. This is why there is usually a feeding frenzy right when water starts to rise, and why things like buggers, sculpins and crayfish work so well at times like that. Once fish gorge themselves, they want to get out of the fast current,. and seek refuge near the banks. You probably saw some little fish that bloated themselves on nymphs once the water started rising, then went to the banks to relax in their new state of fatness.

I agree that this could ahve something to do with the fish anticipating terrestrials. Also, in a small, shallow stream in especially low flows, I've seen wild fish move to the bank seeking additional cover.

Or, it could simply be that they are starting to get the pre-spawn goofies. That happens too.

Might have something to do with O2.I saw it many times in the west ,many times in the fall with low O2 even the biggest,smartest browns would party on days with rain and spitting snow.The lack of sunlight and freshing of the water seem to make the trout giddy and fishermen happy.

The amount of rain would not really raise stream levels very much in the time span it occured, 2 1/2 days and about 1 1/2 inches of rain. At least not for long. I think that this is more related to getting ready to spawn, wild brookies and particularly browns seek out shallow areas near the edges of pool, lips of pools and near banks this time of the year, I don't know why, they just do. You will spool a lot of fish from these areas if you don't look for the areas. They seem to particularly like the tails of pools, where some of the biggest trout in these streams seem to prefer.

Back