Fish ID help

Beweav

Beweav

I caught this and have no idea what it is. Any help? The red behind his gills is not blood btw. I thought it was at first but it didn’t wash away.
IMG 7456
IMG 7457

Wow what great timing - I caught a handful of these tonight as well and was wondering what they were.

The stream you were fishing probably had brook trout, their requirements are very similar tempwise. I have had a great time during sulfur hatch fishing to rosey side daces their beautiful and take dry flies very aggressively

IMG 7460
Yup 👍
Your right, they smacked that big dry almost every time it hit the water!
Do they get much bigger then that?

View attachment 1641230754Yup 👍
Your right, they smacked that big dry almost every time it hit the water!
Do they get much bigger then that?
In some streams yes but the draw to brook trout is not their size for me. Its their colors and being able to hold a fish that survived colonialism, mines, logging, agriculture and keeps eeking out an existence as the ultimate survivalist in hard to live, beautiful places.

Sorry, I worded that unclearly. Do the Dace get any bigger then that?

It was beautiful 👍 An Aquarium of these would be a great way to spark kids interest in local fish!
I think most of the brightly colored minnows in American streams need cold, well-oxygenated water with some current flow. It might be possible to keep some species in an aquarium, but it would take some doing.

I think most of the brightly colored minnows in American streams need cold, well-oxygenated water with some current flow. It might be possible to keep some species in an aquarium, but it would take some doing.
Oh yeah, you could figure it out. A chiller, some power heads. If we can replicate the ocean, I think a spring creek should be doable as well. I haven’t ever seen one though. So maybe it’s harder then it seems!

Adult Rosyside Dace reach a total length of 56 to 109 mm (2.2 to 4.3 in.) (Rohde et al. 2009).

Yea most need chillers which get expensive and require a lot of electricity.

I seem to recall catching some Rosyside dace longer than the one pictured in a particular hole on a Class A in the Michaux SF...

Although I have been known to lie about the size of the fish I catch so I don't know if I would believe me... ;)

As brookie teeth said, they need essentially the same conditions as trout. Trout also love to eat them. Back before I turned 16, I caught a big wild brown on a sewn rosy sided dace.

Rosyside dace do well in combination wild Brown Trout too. I would categorize them as a cool water species, probably more likely to be found with Brown Trout and in transition zones from coldwater to warmwater environments. This is another native species that coexists quite well with wild Brown Trout populations in the lower Susquehanna Basin.

Last edited:
Back