First wild brown

S

skunked

Recently transferring to penn state main campus, I've been fishing spring creek a little bit with no luck (lots of misses). But a few weeks ago I finally got my first brown from there. I don't think I've ever been so pleased with any fish in my entire life, trout or other. It's not the biggest or baddest brownie out there but it sure did put a smile on my face. Hope everyone else has been having a great year
Cheers

Congratulations on the milestone!

way to go - there's something about catching your first wild fish of any species that is absolutely euphoric. it has a kind of naturalness to it, like ' this is how its supposed to be !'.

I was stoked to catch my first NY & PA wild brownies & brookies, still on the hunt for a wild bow though.

browns are the toughest though - you catch a few wild ones in the same spots and the same ways, and then they school you again.

Valley Creek browns are very much like that for me. tricky little buggers they can be - especially with VC's erratic flows.

The hardest fighting browns I've found so far are in the Upper Delaware, for their size they fight like Salmon.

all the best.

Mark.

It's the University Park campus, not main campus ;-)

Keep at it on Spring and many more will come to hand.

Congrats! Thats awesome, I still remember my first wild fish on a fly rod, a beautiful 12 inch bow that ate sulphur on the big D.

Congrats. I'm also at main campus. I go to spring quite often (in my limited free time). PM me if you want to go/have any questions on spots.

Congrats.

But, you may have to change your screen name!

Dear No Longer Skunked:

Welcome to a life long addiction. My boy went to Penn State also. I had some good excuses to visit him (and occasionally fish). There is a lot of good water in the area and some streams that do not get hit much. Some brookeis around also. This is a great site for information, education and entertainment. This is the best site I know of with some great members (so long as you can deal with the occasional snarky comment - don't spot burn). Good luck with your studies. You are attending one of the best Universities on the east coast.

Tight lines.

Congrats- 90% of what I know about fly fishing I learned at PSU. State College has a great fly fishing community, I highly suggest checking out the club on campus if you haven't already. I can get you some contact info if you can't find out how to get in touch with the club. Feel free to PM.

There is a FF club up there on campus, find em. I know a few of the guys, good people. Spring can but tough but there are some nice fish in there, and you are surrounded by great wild trout water. Enjoy.

Thanks for the support everyone!!! I'd definitely like to get into the fly fishing club here. I'd love to learn as much as I can while here! I'm definitely just getting my feet wet in fly fishing (pun somewhat intended).

And huntfish, I'll definitely shoot you a pm sometime to go out

Back