First time Tying

SlingerFlyRods

SlingerFlyRods

Afternoon Guys and Gals..

I've inherited all of my fathers fly tying equipment and decided it was time to look around and see what I had and tie a few bugs..

after watching an online video (and realizing I didn't have gold wire) I used gold ribbon..

I don't normally do a lot of nymphing its mostly dries, but I should be pretty much covered in central PA with prince, walts, hares ear, pheasant tail, copper john, black stone, yellow stone, green weenie

what am I missing? and what can I do to make this tie better (besides using the proper wire)

Thanks,
Chris

Nothing, just tie a thousand different ones and don't give up,It will catch something somewhere.Watch more videos get some books and let it all hang out.

For your first fly it's pretty damn good. Would catch fish. The pic is a funny angle. But it looks like the top biots need to be a bit more on top of the fly instead of flaring out. The hackle looks like it was probably too long and maybe you trimmed it. Should not trim hackle.
It leaves blunt ends and takes away from some of the movement. The prince is not an easy fly to tie. So again I say for your first it's really good. Keep up the good work.

GenCon

thanks Melvinp its addicting I must say..

gencon thanks for the kind words.. you are correct I trimmed the hackle because I was worried it was too long.. I must be doing something wrong with hackle then.. need to watch more videos and read more..

Everyone starts somewhere. Keep posting pics of your ties and listen to the critiques. Learn from them.

Fish the flies you tie and see if they catch fish. They are the ultimate judge of your efforts.

Slinger, for a basic rule of thumb. For a prince nymph. I would select a hackle with barbs about the length of the hook shank. Take a feather and bent it. Check the length against the side of fly. Try to use a hen feather or partridge. Either one will work. But something soft. Should not be a stiff hackle like a dryfly hackle.

Keep tying,

GenCon

GenCon wrote:
For your first fly it's pretty damn good. Would catch fish.

I agree - it's nicely done.

Enjoy the addiction!

Nice tie, that dog will hunt!

How bout these frenchies with orange hotspot?

Interesting, I've never done a double hot spot on a frenchie. Like with hackle don't trim the tips of the pheasant fibers off to achieve the proper length. Don't be afraid to undo a few wraps adjust your material the re tie in. Look at the difference it makes between the two. They look good and will take fish, your doing great eep at it.

Back