First time fly fishing the salt

flipnfly

flipnfly

Headed to Obx first time fly fishing in the salt. All Advice needed. I plan on fishing the sound mostly for red fish And Speckled trout. will my wulff shooting head be okay in the warmer salt water. Also fly pattern suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks in advance

I would have black and orange clousers with copper crystal flash. That is a standard down there. I also almost always start with an Avalon keel crab. You could ty some deceivers in some color as the clousers. When are you going there?

Nello,

Do a search for OBX on here. This comes up every year... and it will produce some things that some not here now have shared.

But by all means lay it down for him guys.

Heading Down directly after the opening day of trout
The 20th

On a side note http://www.rockportflyfishers.com/flies/flies.html
Would these flies be conducive. To the Atlantic Coast. Or just the Gulf?

Flip,
Fish in the salt are generally less selective than trout or steelhead and variations on popular salt patterns like the Clouser Minnow or Merkin rarely result in refusals. Shooting heads are fine.

One thing that many first time salt anglers are surprised to discover when they visit OBX or the FL Keys is that shallow waters are often very weedy. I recommend you have some flies with weed guards. Also, salt fish are generally much stronger than freshwater fish of the same size and will run when hooked (redfish will, speckled trout, not so much). You may wish to double check on old fly line to backing connections.

I haven't done much saltwater flyfishing, but when I have gone I have caught a variety of smaller fish including some 10-12" redfish ("puppy drum" at that size), clousers have treated me pretty well. I like white with a bit of red, but that might be a bit gaudy and unnatural in some situations. Again I have pretty limited experience.

I've been tying lots of weed guards. And epoxy heads over the threads and eyes in some cases. Thanks for the reminder to check on that connection
I'm also going to add some crazy Charlies into the mix

Any tips on fishing the surf
Or should I not try that?

I would try to find the warmest water you can, you can try behind BI lighthouse. I think your wasting your time trying a ton of flies but what to do i know. Maybe tie some green and white clousers as well but other than the ones ive mentioned youll be fine.

Back