First fork

E

Ed007

I have never been to the First Fork of the Sinnemahoning before and was thinking about going up next Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I was planning on mainly fishing the delayed harvest area but going to explore other parts of it. I know there are going to be people there, but is it a ridiculously busy stream? I'm not looking for specific areas to go, I just don't want want to drive 4 hours to go to a stream that is packed with people. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ed

I have never been to the First Fork of the Sinnemahoning before and was thinking about going up next Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I was planning on mainly fishing the delayed harvest area but going to explore other parts of it. I know there are going to be people there, but is it a ridiculously busy stream? I'm not looking for specific areas to go, I just don't want want to drive 4 hours to go to a stream that is packed with people. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Ed
It can be busy but there is plenty of water especially outside of the DHALO. Don't be afraid to keep following it upstream well past that section. Looks like rain in the forecast so that will keep some home. Even if you find it not to your liking there are many other options in that area.

Thanks
Ed
Ed,
30+ miles of The Fork are stocked. You can almost certainly find somewhere that other people won't get in the way. DHALO aka Keystone Select section seems to receive the most pressure. I don't know what next weekend will be like. PFBC stocks from Wharton to Sinnemahoning next week. Youth Gobbler is next Saturday so people will be up.
Driftwood Branch is stocked next Friday so that should help spread the anglers out.
FFS is definitely worth exploring . Depending on where you stay there are so many options in neighboring watersheds if the crick is blown out or just not fishing good. I can get to any of upper Clarion, Allegheny, Kettle,Pine, Driftwood and Bennett Branch within an hour drive from most places in FFS watershed..

They stock the Fork tomorrow, Monday and Wednesday, so there will be a lot of fish and fishermen there. But its a big enough stream to find some room, provided it rains. Water level is perfect now. I was there yesterday, no hatches to speak of, some stoneflies in the air and tiny caddis. And a ton of flies, take your bug spray. But mayflies should be there by next week. Most of FF has good access so its an easy stream to fish.

Breakfast at the Willows and drive north. You’ll find some less dense water at some point. Keep moving. When you get to the Lakeview store at Stevenson dam, stop and have Perry's ice cream.

Thanks for the advice so far!!! I really appreciate the info. I only get to make one or 2 weekend trips in the spring/summer and I want to make the most of it. Thank again

Since you will be there for 3 days you need to fish the DHALO at least half a day. There are a few spots that are ridiculously deep but most of the stream seems shallow. Don’t let that bother you, it will hold fish. If you can keep a woolly bugger on the bottom for a half day you should catch an 18” fish and lose some flies.

The delayed harvest area is often very busy. The people are nice, though.

Friends of mine used to have a camp in that area. Lots of people would go there when the hatches were on. Many of the people with camps there know each other, so it was kind of a social event.

There are many miles of stream around to fish besides the DH area. In the headwaters and many tributaries, you can catch wild trout.

Breakfast at the Willows and drive north. You’ll find some less dense water at some point. Keep moving. When you get to the Lakeview store at Stevenson dam, stop and have Perry's ice cream.
This guy God's countries.

Back