First Fork Sinnemahoning and Kettle

mcwillja

mcwillja

Hey everyone.

I am headed to potter county early next week and i was wondering if anyone has been fishing kettle or the first fork recently and what I can expect there next week. Im not asking for any detailed locations just what to expect hatch wise this year since its been so cold and wet with high flows. Any insight would be appreciated. Im teaching some new cats the art of the fly so I would like to get them into some dry fly action if at all possible.

thanks,

Jason

A lot years I’ve been up that way this week to coincide with my Dad being up for Spring Turkey. Fishing Kettle drainage mostly. Most years I find myself fishing a Red Quill most frequently that week…size 14ish. Quill Gordons are winding down, and there’s probably some March Browns starting, but I generally seemed to find myself between those hatches, where the Red Quills/Hendricksons were the most common mayfly. You’ll be there a week later than I generally was, so you may see more MB’s than I typically did though. Standard midsize tan Caddis will probably be going too.

It’s generally been high and cold up there this Spring though, so they may be a bit behind, in comparison to the rest of PA.

With no major rain between now and then you could be looking at a week of very nice fishing flows up there though, with streams on the fall from last week’s rain. I’d have RQ/Hendricksons (size 14), MB’s (size 12), and tan Caddis (16ish) first and foremost from a dry fly/hatch match standpoint if I was going up.

Thanks Swattie good stuff there

I just got home today streams were very high they are dropping and
should be fine this weekend if we don't get anymore rain. we saw caddis and March Browns. First Fork was in better shape than Kettle

Back