First for me in two ways

F

Flyonthemind24

Hello everyone, my names Andy first time poster to this site even though I have followed and been a member for some while.

The other first is I sat down this evening to enojoy some music and fly tying when I pulled this hook out of the package. First time I ever seen it. Not bashing on the hook company at all but has any one else ever experienced something like this?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 242
not unusual at all. I’m sure most have run into a hook that escaped the watchful eye of the inspector.

My experience with Hanak quality has been pretty good, but only started using them about 3 years ago.

Indeed, some weird stuff definitely slips through the cracks. I’ve seen hooks with no eyes, no points, I’ve even had one that was just the eye and the shank (kind of takes barbless to a whole new level)! However, I have never experienced it with Hanak hooks.

Welcome to PAFF!

I have a drawer full of hooks like that, machining goof, you get them now and then.

Years ago, I was able to buy hooks by the thousand. I would sift thru the pile and there would be several unserviceable hooks in the mix. The hooks were Korean, and retail marketing were sold in little flip up boxes like Dai Riki and Tmc come in.

Not bashing on the hook company at all but has any one else ever experienced something like this?

Literally every brand I've ever tried will have that once in a while. Cheap or expensive, it doesn't matter. Sometimes You'll even get a different style or size of a hook mixed in. Just throw it in the trash, or throw it in a cup full of odds and ends.

I, too, have experienced a faulty hook here or there in every brand of hook I have ever used. Maybe an eye that isn't open (hopefully you notice that one before you tie the fly and out it in your box), or a weak or fragile hook, etc. This is definitely common.

Reactions: CRB
Not at all odd, but not as common as in the past. 50 years ago, I would figure that in a box of 100 Mustad hooks, 95 would be usable. QC has gone way up since then, but even with expensive hooks, a broken one still shows up now and then.

Reactions: CRB
Hello everyone, my names Andy first time poster to this site even though I have followed and been a member for some while.

The other first is I sat down this evening to enojoy some music and fly tying when I pulled this hook out of the package. First time I ever seen it. Not bashing on the hook company at all but has any one else ever experienced something like this?

If it makes you feel any better, a LONG time ago I had some Tiemco 5263 hooks that would BREAK. I'd love to lie and say I was breaking off fish ;) but it only happened if I got a snag and pulled a little hard.

Anyway, I buy my hooks by the 100 so I contacted Tiemco and they REPLACED the 500 hooks I had in my inventory, no questions asked and they didn't even want the old hooks returned.

Bottom line and confirming what others have said, it happens!

Welcome aboard!!

Back