first fly

C

cdogedoger

just finished my first fly. it was a streamer. doesn't look as bad as I thought it would be. might have to give it a field test tommorow.

john

Congrats.

If you post a picture, we can give constructive criticism if you want. I believe ryguy did that with his first.

Congradulations! I'm hoping that picture will show a trout attached to that fly! :)

Didn't have a camera on me that day... waiting to catch my first fish on one now...(thats just an excuse) I think i'm headed out on monday to hit the lake by my house where they have an early season durring march. I'll hopefully post a picture of the massive rainbow i catch on one of my buggers. I did post a bunch of pictures of the odd color tying materials, which may be what you're thinking of. My first fly I tied was a foam ant... lol... wanted to start out easy. I've proably tied about 75 flies so far and am improving steadily. I'm getting more comfortable with techniques and it's taking me less time to tie a fly. My advice John, just keep tying. You'll make mistakes, and when you do ask the guys on here and they'll answer just about anything you have. My first time out fishing MY flies, I didnt see a fish and got my dropper combo caught in a tree...good start. But can't wait to catch one on my own fly, thats an accomplishment in its own.

Ah. sorry ry.

I thought you posted a BHPH nymph and it was one of your first.

Musta been someone else...

The one bit of advice i can give:

Tie one pattern at a time. I have tons of trouble doing this, as I tie 2 of something and then feel like tying something else. I am tenfold more productive when I sit down to tie a dozen sulphurs and actually do so, as opposed to two sulphurs, a rusty spinner, 5 globugs, ten foam ants, a bugger, and two adams. In the end I just get a mess of materials on the table and a disorganized flybox.

To further support what Jay said (which are excellent points), I get rusty, either at a particular pattern or even at tying in general if I hadn't done much for months. I find that the more I tie of a particular pattern when I get back to it, the better each fly gets. You improve the dimensions, amount of material used, technique, etc. So the more you tie of one pattern in a session or two, the better they get.

went out on saturday and fished with it. went to bear creek in schuylkill county. had one fish on the newly tied streamer and it snaped off with the fish. would have been nice to land him. probably would have retired the fly, but you have those things.
any way thanks for the advice and info. everyone. there will be a lot more questions to come in the future.

thanks
john

Hey, glad to here you had a take. It's a real thrill, isn't it. I think you made a good choice starting with streamers. I followed a friend's advice and began with woolybuggers. A big fly really makes it easier to learn thread control and hand position. Plus, they're readily fishable. Will look forward to hearing of your progress.
Coughlin

Back