First Flathead on the Fly

icyguides

icyguides

I was fishing for smallmouth tonight on the Sus Q and caught my first flathead on the fly. I caught a 13' smallmouth about 15-20 minutes before and thought I hooked into a really nice smallie at first. It was fighting like a catfish so I assumed it was a channel cat. I was pretty shocked when I saw it was a flathead. I've always thought logically that given how abundant they are now it was only a matter of time until I caught one on the fly, but I never really expected it to happen. Measured out at 20'. Took a blurple chubby muffin.

Attachments

• 051 (360x199).jpg
    051 (360x199).jpg
    146.8 KB · Views: 8
Interesting!
I've heard of them being targeted by some FFers but I think this is the first one I can recall here on Paflyfish caught locally on a fly. The recent PFBC survey of the North Branch turned up some flatties well upriver, so I'd agree that they're probably a lot more common now in the lower river around Harrisburg. Will be interesting if this becomes a growing trend.

That is a really cool catch!

GenCon

I'm hoping to grab one on the fly (or any tackle really) pretty soon in the Juniata. What did you do with that one? Obviously we are never going to get rid of flatheads but I'm going to dine on them to remove a few of these eating machines from the river system.

jifigz, it's in the fridge. I know they're not going away now. i hear they taste good and i like fish so i figure why not. I'm a little skeptical on how it's going to taste but i'll try anything once.

taste just like catfish !

Mustard fry that fish up cover it in creole mustard and eat it up with some jambalaya.

If anyone is wondering, I ate it last night and it was pretty good. A typical white, bland, mild tasting fish. Not the best fish I've ever had, but very palatable. We cooked it up following a southern fried catfish recipe.

Figures as much...that is why catfish is so tremendously popular. Big, meaty cuts with an easy, mild flavor. The farm raised stuff is even more mild, but I enjoy both farm raised and wild catfish. Flatheads are kind of ugly, though which I'll certainly think about while dining. Lol

Back