First fish on own tie

dasofas

dasofas

Went out Sunday night with the first batch of dasofas authentic ties. I figured after 15 years of fly fishing I needed a new hobby. I caught a few, lost a couple more, and went home completely stoked. Was so excitied to tell someone, and my wife gave me the ol' Heisman. So after talking to her hand for a few I figured I would share the excitement with some others that understand, and maybe put a call out to hear some of the stories of when you fooled your first trout on your own tie.

Now if I can figure out how to tie something other than a wooly bugger..... :-D

Nice job! Its always a good feeling catching a fish on your own flies.

Hope you retired the fly?

The first fish I took on a self-taught hare's ear was a nicely sized brown. The fish went back, and the fly was cut off.

Its currently in a little box tacked to my wall at work, it was a convienent place to put it.

The first fish I took on a dry fly took a parachute sulphur. That one got clipped off and is in a little box at home, too.

I wish I could say I did something cool with the fly, but unfortunately I kept fishing it and eventually got it caught up rolling it on the bottom of a deeper pool. :-(

The first trout I ever caught on a fly I tied was a 9" stocked brook trout out of McLaughlin Run in Crawford County.

The year was 1965. The fly was a size 10 Montreal wet fly which I was able to make because my first fly tying kit purchased from that criminal George Leonard Herter had all this purple/claret crap in it that had no other use than to make a Montreal.

If you've ever seen a Montreal wet, you know this was a once in a lifetime experience.

Here's a Montreal wet: http://www.classictrout.com/wetflies/m/montreal_wet.jpg

Good Stuff !!

Nice- indeed.

Had a similar experience not too long ago- also lost the fly.

I have to admit that I cannot remember the first trout I caught on my own fly (too many concussions I guess), but I can also say I can't remember the last one I caught on a store bought fly either.

Congrats...and many more!

i found that my catch rate increased dramatically when i started tying my own flies.you've really got some good times ahead of you!

rleep,i've never heard anything bad about herter's before.i have some vintage herter's materials and tools,all good stuff.

but i'd love to hear some dirt,haha

>>rleep,i've never heard anything bad about herter's before.i have some vintage herter's materials and tools,all good stuff.

but i'd love to hear some dirt,haha>>

Shakey: At one time, Herter's was the leading provider of materials around, both for selection and quality. Around the mid 60's, this started to go down hill and by the time they folded up (or sold the name to Cabela's or whatever happened) in the 70's, they were mostly selling junk.

But they did over the preceding years sell some of the best stuff that could be had

And remember, this was a kit. The kits of the era had a lot of junk in them. Blue saddle hackles, size G thread, yellow dyed guinea feathers, claret floss and a cast iron vise that only held down to a size 10 hook.

It's a wonder I ever stuck with it. But I was only 12 and it beat hoeing the carrots out back, which is what my Dad would have me doing if he saw I was idle.

Additionally, I always refer to G.L. Herter as a criminal because he got caught in a USF&W sting in the early 70's involving exotic bird plumage which George was importing to sell under the table to tiers. This was a portion of the reason they went under..

Congrats dasofas, that's such a rewarding feeling when you take your first fish on a fly you tie. I am still thrilled when I catch fish on my flies. What I found to be more rewarding was giving flies to a friend and watching him catch fish on my flies. Good stuff!

Yeah, it's a great feeling - here's wishing you many more.

dasofas wrote:
I wish I could say I did something cool with the fly, but unfortunately I kept fishing it and eventually got it caught up rolling it on the bottom of a deeper pool. :-(

this would affectionately be known as a "Burial at Sea."

No better tribute to a fallen soldier! :-D

(No offence to those who've given their lives in the armed forces.)

Dasofas,

It's been about 25 years now for me, but yes, I still remember that thrill of catching fish on my own flies.
Keep practicing and learning more.
I suggest now that you start tying ants and beetles.
They're very simple to tie and quite effective all summer and fall

I remember my first trout on my own fly as well.

I took a clump of deer hair and lashed it to a hook. No body, just a wing. I guess I was trying to tie a muddler. I don't know, really. I was 12.

I threw it at a log, expecting it to sink. It didn't, so I tried to strip it back in to cast again (I didn't understand the concept of just picking up and casting again). A brown came out from under the log and ate it.

I took it upstream and caught two more dead drifting it on top.

I guess it would be considered a size 8 brass bodied caddis.

Dasofas

I never learned how to ty, just never had the time back when. I did miss that part of the game and regret it all the time. So congrats and hope you catch many more.

I did ty one of Pads worms once!

PaulG

jayL wrote:
I remember my first trout on my own fly as well.

I took a clump of deer hair and lashed it to a hook. No body, just a wing. I guess I was trying to tie a muddler. I don't know, really. I was 12.

I threw it at a log, expecting it to sink. It didn't, so I tried to strip it back in to cast again (I didn't understand the concept of just picking up and casting again). A brown came out from under the log and ate it.

I took it upstream and caught two more dead drifting it on top.

I guess it would be considered a size 8 brass bodied caddis.

That's pretty funny... I think I'll tie some of those tonight lol.

My first fish was probably on a version of a hares ear. Bought a kit and really had no clue what I was doing. I tied a knot to the eye of the hook with my thread to start the fly... It was not pretty...couldn't figure out why it took me so long to tie a simple little fly. That fish probably thought he had an easy meal of wounded mutilated nymph I had on my line lol.

My first on a dry was a sz 18 BWO though. I remember that one.

My first tie (that actually caught a fish) was a pheasant tail nymph. Which is still my favorite fly to tie.

My dad had me tying before I learned to fly fish, so I have always used my own creations. That being said, it took me two or three seasons before I caught a trout, but that first one was so rewarding. A brookie on a tan Elk Hair Caddis. Never forget the day.

Tying your own adds a new dimension to the sport and in the long run will make you a more observant angler. Practice and patience are the biggest keys to tying.

Back