First fish on my own tie

laurelrun

laurelrun

It was chilly today but the sun was too nice not to get out. Headed for the only place I knew there would be open water - along with dozens of other anglers. I fished the run at Boiling Springs from about 2:30 to 4:00.

Started with a hare's ear that I tied in my beginner class at Bass Pro under the expert tutelage of Bobby Clouser. Below are the fly and the nice 12" brown that was kind enough to take it. The fish were in the mood to bite. I brought six BTs and RTs to hand and had a couple more spirited takes. Even almost had my first double when a brown Slashed at my egg dropper while I had hooked up a nice rainbow. Biggest fish of the day was about a 15" Rainbow, which was also my last.

What a cure for cabin fever! And also proof to all you newbie tiers and fly fishers that it can be learned!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 6
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 4
Congrats! Hare's ears look better the more they're chewed on (IMO)...Keep tying!

Congrats!

Sounds like a great dwy.

Congratulations! People can criticize your ties, but the fish are the judge, jury, and executioner.

Laurel, congrats. Nice job with the fly and the fish.

GenCon

Laurel,
Nice work! Buggy bugs are the best...nice ties and fishin.

congrats bud.

now break off the barb of that hook and stick it in your hat. ;-)

Congratulations! Oh what a feeling huh!? There's no looking back for you now. Like geebee sugests hold on to that fly, it'll be really cool to have later down the road.

Way to go!! Nothing like catching a fish on a fly you tied.

Thanks for all the well-wishes, guys. I credit this forum and the good people on it for a pretty successful learning curve this past year.

I also remembered reading someone suggest to clip that fly off and save it when you achieve that milestone. I have this one tucked away for safekeeping with all the details written on the container.

Considering I shortly thereafter caught a rainbow that got hung up on a stick and broke off my dropper, I was happy I did.

Back